Imagine a world where we don't all have the right to drive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry can't accept that 'Somebody' must have decided to buy/ship those Strawberries from somewhere to get them into a Durham supermarket last week, I'm pretty sure nobody in Durham decided to contact the grower directly asking them to send them

Think for a minute about supply and demand. The strawberries were supplied because there is a demand. You could also say, the demand for strawberries caused somebody to supply strawberries. "The market" creates the macro transaction, not an individual. An individual's demand for strawberries will not be satisfied by another individual's decision to supply. It is a collective thing and that's why I say "the market".

D

Deleted member 26715

The strawberries were supplied because there is a demand.
Sorry again I believe you are incorrect, I'm happy to wager 1 Bank of England 1pence piece that nobody in Durham called/emailed/twatted/farcebooked Asda asking them to bring Strawberries into their Bishop Auckland store in February, it was a conscious decision by the Anonymous 'Somebody' within the buying department of Asda to do this.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
How would this work if all the supermarket shoppers decided to use your services? Wouldn't the roads be clogged with veg box delivery vehicles? Isn't it a question of scale? Our local village shop is very successful and used by people from surrounding villages. The street is increasingly being blocked by the delivery vehicles serving the shop, and customers cars from those villages. Maybe the answer would be to relocate a much enlarged village shop on the edge of the village, with improved access for larger trucks and a car park ………...

Personally I drop off at seven or so pick up points where customers then collect from--on foot bike, or by car.

If there were lots more operations like mine around towns and cities then I'm sure delivery could be worked out.. Similar to how milk floats used to do it in ye olden days.. And as are springing up again.

My operation is not unique there are many others all round the country - they just tend to be under the radar and ignored by the mainstream.

Dismissed as wooly , niche, or unproductive - none of which is true - we are just operating in a system that massively favours and promotes the big players - because they have loudest voice and clout when it comes to publicity, lobbying power at governmental level, and advertising budget.

Up until now that is.. now us regenerative agriculturalists have a bit more voice in Westminster - and we can come to places like this and tell you good folks all about it too :smile:

But in essence we need to relocalise most food supplies, cut out the long supply chain model that means most of the profit goes to the supermarket and the distributor.

I would disagree that markets ' just work' - maybe in the short term, but the end consumer doesn't get to see the hidden costs of over cultivation on soil , over use of pesticides herbicides and fertilisers which are gobbling up resources and causing pollution to groundwater - depleting soils so the current estimate is that we maybe have seventy or so years harvests left - killing off delicate ecological systems - insect extinction rates are huge - and which also rely on a lot of poorly paid exploited labour - both here and overseas -which we don't see. All these 'costs' are picked up elsewhere either by society or the environment - they are not 'free'

Our current system of food production and distribution is highly unsustainable - and doesn't deliver good food where its needed - its mainly fossil fuel* converted to cheap overprocessed calories which don't create health or well being for our population, just big profits for a few big players.

* i do use some fossil fuel in my cultivation machinery - but it wouldn't be impossible to have a electric cell version of them i'm sure.

Otherwise the farm runs mainly on 'contemporary sunlight' ie greenwaste compost, some animal manures, and green manures grown in situ - i don't use artificially created fertilizers, herbicides or pesticides.

Its not a perfect system - there are still some holes to plug - but if more ( or at least some) R&D effort were put in we could do a lot better -

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- around here there are a number of 'farm shops' selling products much like yours. Locally sourced, high quality food. Green, organic. Expensive. They have become immensely popular, and I assume profitable for their operators. They have become destinations for 'ladies who lunch' (and for cycling club-run refreshments!) and much like our popular village shop they have generated increased traffic leading to congested roads. They are getting larger and larger, their carparks bigger.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
What a stupid thread, respectfully.
I am a double amputee and my car is essential. Much like a lot of other people I think. (Not all amputees).
Please think before you post.
WOW... talk about jumping to a conclusion!

I was watching a documentary called Flat Pack Pop: the Swedish music miracle, and it was the presenter of the doc that made me think about who needs a car and who doesn't.

:smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
- around here there are a number of 'farm shops' selling products much like yours. Locally sourced, high quality food. Green, organic. Expensive. They have become immensely popular, and I assume profitable for their operators. They have become destinations for 'ladies who lunch' (and for cycling club-run refreshments!) and much like our popular village shop they have generated increased traffic leading to congested roads. They are getting larger and larger, their carparks bigger.

Well thats a different animal altogether really - thats 'destination shopping' or somesuch. - but they are making a profit running a business - which is generally seen as number one priority,

But i'd say the food should be going to the town - not the other way round .

I don't know whether or not the food in these shops is expensive in reality - what i do know is that the overall price paid for food, and the incomes generated from growing it has dropped or remained static over the last few decades -

Whereas the price paid for say property has risen massively - the proportion of our incomes that we spend on food - arguably the most important thing we buy ( after bicycles) is very small compared with in the past. - its a question of what do we value - what does us good - do we care about its externalised effects??

I

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Whilst I like the idea (I would wouldn't I? I never owned a car) the idea of having to prove you needed a car sounds a bit totalitarian. I'd prefer a more realistic form of road pricing, so in congested places like cities you pay through the nose to drive a car, and pay double if you're daft enough to drive an SUV.

Alternatively engineer roads so there's no direct route anywhere, remove signposts and have roads randomly stop, turn into muddy tracks or simply fill them full of potholes. Everyone would assume they were cycle lanes and ignore them.
yeah but my problem with just increasing the cost of motoring means the wealthy can carry on as normal and the needy lose out.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Sorry again I believe you are incorrect, I'm happy to wager 1 Bank of England 1pence piece that nobody in Durham called/emailed/twatted/farcebooked Asda asking them to bring Strawberries into their Bishop Auckland store in February, it was a conscious decision by the Anonymous 'Somebody' within the buying department of Asda to do this.
I did.

yeah but my problem with just increasing the cost of motoring means the wealthy can carry on as normal and the needy lose out.
Indeed, which is why one of my election pledges is to do away with fines and points. Instead, drivers who break the law get thumbscrews with no grounds for appeal.
It's clear that neither motoring costs nor the risk of being disqualified has any effect on driver entitlement. Thumbscrews, on the other hand...

Top Bottom