Impact Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
you did explain one way it might be possible, its important for people to realise it is not certain.

So in short, a helmet may scratch which will protect the head from scratching and in other cases the helmet may scratch when the head wouldn't have scratched. In both cases the head didnt scratch so it confirms the helmet has done its job (as far as stopping scratches)

Barmy. In the second case the helmet hasn't stopped anything at all.

david k

Hi
Barmy. In the second case the helmet hasn't stopped anything at all.
your right, it didnt stop anything, so we are in the same position, in all cases where there was scratch damage to a helmet there was no damage to the head (whether there would have been or not)
Its good that you have clarified this so we are all understanding of the results that srw published from his survey

theclaud

Openly Marxist
your right, it didnt stop anything, so we are in the same position, in all cases where there was scratch damage to a helmet there was no damage to the head (whether there would have been or not)
Its good that you have clarified this so we are all understanding of the results that srw published from his survey

We are not in the same position at all. I have only a passing interest in the minutiae of helmet debates, because even if there were significant evidence to demonstrate their effectiveness (there isn't), helmets would still be a sideshow, drawing us away from the joys of cycling and towards fear and circumscription. Fond as I am of srw, and inclined to trust his conclusions, I haven't even paid enough attention to know what survey you are on about - I just got an alert and saw you talking nonsense, so I decided to picture you in deely-boppers. I cannot recommend this technique highly enough, and from now on am going to apply it with abandon in P&Lite.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Helmets make your head bigger. A lot bigger. They make people look like giant mushrooms. It is quite possible that, when you hit or scrape your helmeted head on something, a smaller, unhelmeted head would not have hit it at all. If you were wearing deely boppers and they got caught in a tree, would you assume that they had protected you from getting your head caught in the tree?
Based on the present sales of helmets, the answer must be yes if the UCI and BMI,BRAKE, etc tell you they would.

Licramite

Über Member
do seat belt manufactures or airbag manufactures ? they only state they are made to comply to a standard. which means they comply to certain tests.
how could they, there are so many variables in an accident any claim would be misleading.

I agree it annoys me they talk about helmets as fashion accessories more than safety devices,
but they are made to cover such a narrow band of impact force and accident type and such a small area of the body it has to leave the safety as axiomatic and so to sell them talk about irrelevant's as I see it.

david k

Hi
2279341 said:
I didn't. I am talking about the people who pitch up here with the same story every so often. It goes, I fell off my bike, my helmet split from front to back. It saved me from a certain fractured skull/death. If you don't wear one you are an idiot.
but we were not talking about that, we were discussing srw's survey, all you are doing is muddying the waters to justify your out of context replies

david k

Hi
We are not in the same position at all. I have only a passing interest in the minutiae of helmet debates, because even if there were significant evidence to demonstrate their effectiveness (there isn't), helmets would still be a sideshow, drawing us away from the joys of cycling and towards fear and circumscription. Fond as I am of srw, and inclined to trust his conclusions, I haven't even paid enough attention to know what survey you are on about - I just got an alert and saw you talking nonsense, so I decided to picture you in deely-boppers. I cannot recommend this technique highly enough, and from now on am going to apply it with abandon in P&Lite.
Point 1: "So we are in the same position" was in reference to a head not be damaged whether you wore a helmet or not when referring to your scenario, so your reply is out of context
Point 2: Then your replies have no credibility
Point 3: I was summarising srw's and Adrians replies, these are not my findings, therefore i was pass on your comments that they are both talking nonsense.

david k

Hi
2279465 said:
You are glossing over the earlier thread though aren't you. You do remember the one where you said that you would like to be able to make your friend wear a helmet but can't don't you?

and my agenda is clear on the agenda thread, you know the one you started to clarify everyone's position, however this has nothing to do with srws findings and your confirmation that a helmet offers benefit 100% of the time, remember that one

david k

Hi
2279482 said:
No I am asking you. You have suggested that a helmet with a scratch must have saved its wearer a scratched head as though this were important. I am interested to know why a scratch on the head is considered sufficiently important to buy protective gear when people are happy without elbow or knee pads which usually take some damage when you come off.
no i never stated this, it was part of srws survey, i merely clarified it and you confirmed it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom