Implants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anybody have any real world experience of implants (teeth not breasts!)

Side affects, pain, failure etc or just deleriously happy with them apart from the cost.

midlife

Guru
I'm involved in the planning and restoration of dental implants day in and day out for 20 years plus. What have you in mind?

Old jon

Guru
Had my temporary ones done last June in Brazil. Permanent happens next February or March, 'cos that is when I go back. They just work, very well, though there is a but. The temporary teeth (?) are not glued in strongly just because they are temporary. Care is needed. I would think that if you had no time constraints a few weeks waiting for permanent gnashers would not be a problem. No side effects and certainly no pain. Cost, about half as much as the UK, but you would have to add the air fare.

I'm involved in the planning and restoration of dental implants day in and day out for 20 years plus. What have you in mind?

My options appear to be limited to an ao4 but that would mean the extraction of a few teeth. This is the bit that worries me if the ao4 goes belly up I have sacrificed my remaining real teeth.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I got an upper front incisor that was a failed crown with a cracked root replaced with an implant 3 years ago.
Only options I had was a plate, a bridge that might not work well, or an implant.
The process took around 7 months to complete, removal of old root, small amount of bone graft, fitting of titanium implant root, fitting of tooth to implant.
During this period I had a plate to wear, which wasn't as bad as I expected but not ideal.
The 3 years since the process was completed have been trouble free, the implant is rock solid, and eating things like apples, baguettes, etc is once again an easy process, which it wasn't with the plate.
Pain was negligible, no worse than any other dental procedure.

Cost was £2000, dentist had an interest free finance scheme available so I was able to spread it out over a year.

Was it worth it? I think yes. Had it been a tooth other than a front incisor though, I doubt if I would have got an implant.

alicat

Legendary Member
I am following this with interest. I have two lower rear molars (no 6, I think) that need to come out. My dentist says I could just leave gaps but I would prefer to have a full set of gnashers for as long as poss.

alicat

Legendary Member
How about a dental bridge?

The surrounding teeth are mostly intact so I would rather leave them alone. And if I'm being honest, the idea of having a bridge makes me feel older than my years.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The surrounding teeth are mostly intact so I would rather leave them alone. And if I'm being honest, the idea of having a bridge makes me feel older than my years.

I bashed one of my front incisors when I was a kid on a metal farm gate while climbing over it. The impact killed off the nerve but it remained solidly in place for many years. Unfortunately it started to wobble a couple of years ago so had to come out. I've had a Maryland Bridge false incisor ever since.

Works fine. Generally, if the bond is going to fail it does so pretty soon. The false tooth is specifically crafted to match the real ones. I think it cost me about £300. The idea is that this was a relatively low-cost solution. If it fails then I can have an implant and I've only "wasted" the cost of the bridge

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I smashed my front teeth so many times as a kid that i looked like Shane Macgowan :crazy:
Six implants about 28 years ago and they have never bothered me . Plus now i look pretty :girldance:

midlife

Guru
My options appear to be limited to an ao4 but that would mean the extraction of a few teeth. This is the bit that worries me if the ao4 goes belly up I have sacrificed my remaining real teeth.

Implant planning looks forward 40 years plus so it's best to do it once and do it properly. If a natural tooth gives up then it's a real pain (surgically and in the wallet) to sort out. OK, if I'm planning a 14 year old then it's different and teeth can be kept but for situations heading for an "all-on-4" then the ball game changes.

I did my "all-on-4" trainining with Paulo Malo at the Malo clinic in Lisbon, £60,000 Euros for full mouth, and I work with consultant surgeons so The expectation of success is high LOL

PM me if you want any advice :smile:

Two implants upper and lower molars. Well worth the time and money.

I had titanium rods fitted and had to wait six months for the bone to knit to them. The worst part of the whole process was that I had to take antibiotics for a week immediately after fitting of the rods to prevent any infection, because I am allergic to penicillin I was given clindamycin, which had a rather volatile effect on my digestive tract. It took about a month for my tum to return to normal :wacko:

Implant planning looks forward 40 years plus so it's best to do it once and do it properly. If a natural tooth gives up then it's a real pain (surgically and in the wallet) to sort out. OK, if I'm planning a 14 year old then it's different and teeth can be kept but for situations heading for an "all-on-4" then the ball game changes.

I did my "all-on-4" trainining with Paulo Malo at the Malo clinic in Lisbon, £60,000 Euros for full mouth, and I work with consultant surgeons so The expectation of success is high LOL

PM me if you want any advice :smile:

Thanks midlife, I am having my CT scan this week so I suppose a lot depends on the result of that.

Funnily enough I was toying with getting it done in Portugal (we have a place on the Algarve) but just thought getting it done in the UK was more convenient should I need to see the dentist at short notice.

Top Bottom