Importance of recovery days.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
For lifestyle reasons, I am restricted to riding only on Wed, thur or Friday. So try and get out on each of those days and then no riding from sat thru Tuesday.

So last week crammed three rides in and felt a bit jaded by the end of the week. But today, on a very damp day, my legs seemed to have springs in them and sped round one of my loops almost 2 mph faster!

It's always surprising how much better you feel after a few days break.

Last edited:
i spent a week cycling every day N Wales/Anglesey last summer, totally whacked by the end of it! Best to have a day or two between them unless short rides ... it was a different story 20 years ago mind .... :laugh:

Alex321

Veteran
I usually have at least one day per week not getting on the bike at all (usually Thursday), and one or two more where I will only do a short ride (around 10-12 miles, 35-45 minutes).

CXRAndy

Guru
I try and race on Zwift 3 days a week, with one or two gaps between events. I find it Keeps my fitness quite high. If I then want to do a sportive say a 100 miler, I can change to endurance for 6 weeks to get saddle fit.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Commuting five days a week can be a killer by Friday. I'm only doing 3-4 days commuting, but last week ended up doing five days consecutively Sunday to Thursday. Felt a bit knackered bit Thursday on the way home.

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
Well this week, I hammered myself with three consequative days riding. For me, this means 3+ hrs for the week, totalling 40 miles.

Not a lot for some youngsters on here, but quite enough for me. Let's see what the next 4 days of resting does and what happens next week.

DogmaStu

I take at least one day a week off from cycling and sometimes two. I listen to my body, if I'm feeling sluggish, lack of energy then the next day is generally for recovery. The 5 - 6 days I do ride, I only really do stronger efforts for 3 of them. Zone 2 rides are very important.

Top Bottom