Improving braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have found and ordered the kool stop pads. Looking forward to enjoying going down some bigger hills without needing a new pair of shorts.
fingers crossed then

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Just fitted the rear pads, koolstop salmon as suggested by @biggs682 and wow what a difference. I only went up to the top of my road and back and I got the rear wheel to lock up pulling as hard as I could. Now I can go back to braking normally and have confidence I will stop. I better get off out then I don't have any excuse to get some hills ridden now.

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
@ChrisEyles as I ride a modern carbon bike Monday thru Thursday with lovely modern ultegra brakes which I am happy to fly down anything it has been doing my head in having zero confidence. Finished my things to do so off out to enjoy the bike

ChrisEyles

Guru
I know the feeling! I have cantilever brakes on my touring commuter, and they're great. My weekend ten speed has Mafac racer calipers, and the original pads were frankly terrifying on steep descents, I had a few brown trouser moments where my life flashed before my eyes. The koolstops made a huge difference, enjoy riding the bike much more now without fearing what might lie over the brow of the hill!

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
@Mad Doug Biker yes they are chrome.

Top Bottom