1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Chiefwiggum, 3 Sep 2007.

1. Chiefwiggum

Chiefwiggum New Member

Having taken delivery of my bike about 3 weeks ago, I have been heading out 3/4 times a week. First week 10km seemed a long way but on this Sunday managed 35km (without stopping!!) so my stamina is improving however on all the runs I have done, flat, hilly or in between my average speed is always between 23 - 25km an hour, even allowing for short burst of 50kph downhill on some runs. How do I improve my speed, I cycle solo at the moment as I don't think I'm yet up to joining a club in terms of speed or distance. I'm hoping to do a 50km ride this weekend or would I be better staying at the 35km distance and working on the speed before uping the km. I work in metric to it sounds further and faster;)

2. RedBike

RedBike New Member

Most clubs have rides at various levels / distances. Contact them and see what they've got to offer.

If you keep increasing the distance then you'll naturally get quicker as you get fitter.

3. johnr

johnr Über Member

If you want specific training, there's books in most bookshops which will have recommendations. Cycling Plus has a training section every month aimed at would be racers.