Impulse buy Holdsworth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think that's right.

Yes that makes sense. My first racer bought either late 70's early 80's from the local Whitby "toyshop" was a Viking Warlord 10 spd. Pretty cheap (although it didn't feel like it saving up my pocket money to buy it!) "junior" model with 26" wheels and regular steel, defo not 531 frame!

I had one of those! In red with a very hard moulded plastic saddle. Bought from Pearson’s in Sutton

southcoast

Über Member
I think that's right.

Yes that makes sense. My first racer bought either late 70's early 80's from the local Whitby "toyshop" was a Viking Warlord 10 spd. Pretty cheap (although it didn't feel like it saving up my pocket money to buy it!) "junior" model with 26" wheels and regular steel, defo not 531 frame!

I looked up some prices and in 1983 a Warlord was listed at £103 and a Mistral £325. Just for some comparison a Dawes Imperial was £299.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I looked up some prices and in 1983 a Warlord was listed at £103 and a Mistral £325. Just for some comparison a Dawes Imperial was £299.
From memory I think my Warlord was £125 - for the 10spd (the 5 spd being £95 or £105). I think it had taken my eye in Blenkeys when browsing Scalextric cars. It was quite an upgrade from my Raleigh Commando, although i think by then I'd out grown the commando and was knocking about on a 3 spd Sturmey archer geared flat bar Raleigh something or other that had been my uncles in the 1950's. I recall he'd tarted it up and painted it red and green as a birthday present. I also recall at some point him "borrowing" it back on the grounds I'd gone to uni and was no longer using it. I think its still in his shed, although last time I saw him he was using a 1980s rigid mountain bike, straight out of @SkipdiverJohn's collection! The Viking is long dead, I think it went to the scrap man at some point.

Looking forward to getting my hands on the Holdsworth..

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Spotted this on ebay, located in my old home town. Mulled it over with a glass of wine and I'm now it's proud owner, although will be a while before I can collect it, so my brother in law is going to baby sit it for me.

Needs a bit of work, can see a stiff link or two in the chain, and if anyone has any Shimano 600 arabesque friction shifters for sale I'll be interested, to get it back to authentic.
So 3 months on, I'm heading up to Whitby this weekend to collect it....^_^

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So it has Sun Tour power ratchet bar cons, which seem really good on a quick test, and seem to be well regarded in their day, headset feels very sound and there are no grumbles from the BB, seat post was as free as a bird and the San Marco Rolls is in really good condition, and paint work is all in good order.

So I think pretty much what I need to do is a deep clean & degrease and relube & regrease. New inner & outer cables all round as the brake cable particularly are a bit rough looking and koolstop pads so I can stop the thing, and a new chain. Its got a 14-28 touring block so 38-28 lowest gear, which whilst not ideal for some of the local hills, is hopefully manageable. Better than 42-23 anyway!!

Wheels look true enough, but a bit dull and not a lot to indicate what they are. I may be back with photo's for ID help. Brakes are Weinmann 750 center pull calipers, which look in reasonable order, but not yet tested full effectiveness.

I recently treated my old Peugeot to a new rim & spoke rebuild on existing hubs, which might be an option going forward / longer term. I might test out to see if current calipers can cope with 700c rims, as it makes more sense for tyre choice and ability to switch wheels around. Or even get a spare set of 700c rims made up on some period appropriate wide flange hubs (just because I like that look).

Top Bottom