Impulse purchases.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Are you one of those people who will buy something on impulse, without thinking about it first? I must confess that I fall into that category although, with ageing, I am calming down a bit and talk myself out of it more often.
I have bought bikes and cars on impulse many times but not recently, my last impulse buying of a bike was 3 years ago and my car is now 5 years old, so, may be I have become wiser with old age , I certainly hope so.
What I resent the most now is paying loads of money for holidays that will last a couple of weeks and then , phew, gone. At least, when you buy something, you have something to show for it.

gbb

Legendary Member
No, I almost always only buy what I need. I always ask myself, do I really need it.
Yesterday was a good example....I'm doing up the kitchen and forgot I needed my sons circular saw. He was back at his in an hour, no problem and my first instinct was to just go buy one so I could get on (I have a very strong 'get on' mentality)
£50...I could just get on...then the other side of me kicked in...nah, have a cuppa, wait.

Drago

Legendary Member
My worst impulse purchase.

As a newly badged young squaddie with a few quid in savings I went into Carnells in Milton Keynes to buy a tip box for my KMX200...

...and left an hour later on a nearly new GSXR1100H.

Suffice to say, I got home rather quicker than I had arrived. My first experience of hyper bikes. Yank the throttle open hard in first and the next thing I knew it was banging off the rev limiter at 90 while I was desperately hanging on. After a year of high velocity near death experiences I did the sensible thing and chopped it against a new Kwak GT550, which felt dog slow in comparison, although it would murder practically any car it went up against.

Much more sensible these days. I dont buy anything unless I can reasonably justify it. The same cyclists that prattle on about planet killing automobiles are themselves usually happy to needlessly upgrade to a new mobile phone rammed full or rare earth minerals every year, and I'd hate to be one of those blinkered hypocrites.

vickster

Legendary Member
Most recently a bike during lockdown, saw on eBay, probably bought within an hour and collected within a few days.
I did sell 3 bikes so still in the black even after spending some money to get it as desired.

I do buy quite a lot of clothing online which I subsequently return, not necessarily impulse buys though (they just aren’t right, usually fit).

I don’t have to justify my spending to anyone other than myself!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I never buy anything without careful consideration and often extensive research, with one exception - walking past a shop one day at a time when I was seriously strapped for cash, and I saw a blue & white-striped duffel bag - heavy canvas, leather & brass fittings. At £40 it was crazy - I was really on my uppers at the time - but I just couldn't resist. Had that bag for well over a decade, took it everywhere, never regretted buying it. Eventually it just plain wore out - I've been looking for a replacement ever since...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I teach marketing, so should know better. Bought a jigsaw last week and in digging round the shed a couple of days ago found a jigsaw that I'd forgotten about.

Whilst my bike/car impulse purchases have decreased I still remember buying this sight unseen on eBay and going 200 miles to collect:

IMG_0091.JPG

Mind you, they're worth thousands now apparently so maybe I should have kept it instead of selling for £200 when it broke after 6 weeks of being hurled about :whistle:

Would I have another? Probably :blush:

tyred

Legendary Member
I teach marketing, so should know better. Bought a jigsaw last week and in digging round the shed a couple of days ago found a jigsaw that I'd forgotten about.

Whilst my bike/car impulse purchases have decreased I still remember buying this sight unseen on eBay and going 200 miles to collect:

View attachment 539903

Mind you, they're worth thousands now apparently so maybe I should have kept it instead of selling for £200 when it broke after 6 weeks of being hurled about :whistle:

Would I have another? Probably :blush:
A "prototype" Peugeot 205. I'd love to have one. Genuinely cannot remember when I last saw a Samba. A convertible version would be really rare and desirable.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I once went out car shopping with my sister - she needed a new car and I knew a bit about how to assess them. She came home empty-handed and I was the new owner of a mk1 Toyota MR2.

Are you one of those people who will buy something on impulse, without thinking about it first?

Ive been guilty of this very recently. I bought Assioma Duo power meter pedals for my bike. I’ve always ridden on feel when outdoors and I still do, only looking on my strava data after a ride so they were definitely a needless extravagance that probably could’ve been better made elsewhere. I definitely do not need them. There was a case of “monkey see, monkey do” going on at the time as the group of lads I was riding with at the time had them, so I just followed suit. However I don’t ride with them anymore so they are kind of pointless!

woodbutcher

Veteran
My partnered l have between us, three horses, two dogs ,two cars, a house... not to mention my nine bicycles and a motorbike in France and two more bikes in Sweden at the sommastuga . It goes without saying that l've done more than my fair share of impulse buying . I might have a shot at impulse selling ^_^

Moodyman

Legendary Member
No. Being a Yorkshire man, I will sleep on it.

I have bought stuff that was rubbish for the intended purpose (tools usually), but again, that was the Yorkshire man in me as I bought cheap the first time round. End up getting a better items subsequently.

Top Bottom