In a bit of a fix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pinhead03

Hi, I have a 2016 giant fastroad comax 2, and just before lockdown took to local bike shop for a replacement shifter cable ( rear derailleur).Stupidly I didn't check it over until I got it home. Upon inspection the rear grommet is missing where the cable enters the frame, hence no tension .I was hoping that someone might know the proper name for it and if possible where could buy a replacement.Thanks in advance, from a desperate cyclist.

Latest Spam Trigger Log Matches:
No matching spam trigger logs were found.

Slioch

Guru
Sorry, I don't know the name of that part, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who does.

In the meantime, can you please advise the name and location of the local bike shop, so we can avoid it.

Thanks
:okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Do you mean cable outer ends like this or in black ?
1585682338286.png

If so in themselves they wouldnt stop tension as the cable end would just but up against the frame

Sharky

Guru
Presume so as he says " where the cable enters the frame
That's what's puzzling me and I am not familiar with internal cabling. Also says at the rear where the cable would be coming out of the frame. My suspicion is that there shouldn't be a grommit there at all. The inner should just be in a groove and continue unsheathed until it re enters an outer cable like normal routing.

Needs proper advice from somebody who knows better and photos from the op.

OP
OP
P

Pinhead03

Hi, thanks for all the responses to my problem. In answer to the name of the bike shop, it is Wilco motoshop, Swinton, Manchester(only too happy to name and shame shame). After a lot of research , I think I may have sussed it. I will attempt to post pics of the issue and what I think will solve it. I think it is something to do with the cable housing.Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG-20200331-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20200331-WA0005.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 8

Ajax Bay

Guru
name of the bike shop, it is Wilco motoshop, Swinton, Manchester(only too happy to name and shame shame). After a lot of research , I think I may have sussed it. I will attempt to post pics of the issue and what I think will solve it. I think it is something to do with the cable housing.
:welcome:to CycleChat.
With all due respect ;), I think it is reasonable to be sure exactly what a bike shop has done, or left undone, or poorly done, before 'naming and shaming'. The OP if not confessing is sharing his ignorance, and this community has not identified the cause of the OP's "hence no tension". And btw, it's not a proper bike shop so perhaps the OP might patronise his LBS in future, not a service centre "For all your motoring needs".

Reactions: C R

Sharky

Guru
Hi, thanks for all the responses to my problem. In answer to the name of the bike shop, it is Wilco motoshop, Swinton, Manchester(only too happy to name and shame shame). After a lot of research , I think I may have sussed it. I will attempt to post pics of the issue and what I think will solve it. I think it is something to do with the cable housing.Thanks all.
Not sure that you can see what is amiss at that point, without slackening the cable completely and pulling out the cable outer at that point. If anything is missing, I think it may be hidden?

Top Bottom