In black and white what my council think about cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Iv'e never really looked properly at the cycling page on our council website. Was looking for something else so thought well i'm on I'd have a good look.
All we have in the way of cycle ways is either the magic white line or the magic blue signs which we all know works just fine :laugh:

So having read this I now know way. Under cycle lanes it read's .... (Note the bit i've highlighted)

Cycle lanes are dedicated lanes running alongside the road, designed to give cyclists a comfortable amount of space to travel safely, without getting in the way of other traffic. They're indicated clearly by road signs and markings.
There are many cycle lanes already in place across the borough and we consider the need for new ones as part of our overall plan for future road improvement schemes; wherever feasible, we'll introduce them as part of any new road developments.

So we get in the way do we , just think the fuss it would make if they went round saying the same about a pushchairs , wheelchairs and the like. :cursing:

classic33

Leg End Member
Sounds like the local one here.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
@Drago i don‘t know it’s a common get out phase used by most organisations.
what I can say is two recently approved new roads are getting magic blue sign pavements. “As safer walking and cycling routes”
So I suspect feasible means what ever we can get away with.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
email already sent :okay:

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
@Andy in Germany I see you too cycle around here too :okay:
To be balanced some of our shared space have some clever ways to keep you safe such as taking you miles out only to have to come back on the road. Some of the pavements are so narrow even walking on them is not easy and cycling is totally impossible. Some have signage on both sides of the road. Which clearly end on one side but nothing on the other.
So in the end it's total confusion and you end up on bus so problem solved :wacko:

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, you think that's bad.

Theres a proposed housing development near here in the planning phase. Much talk of the local sustainable cycling links (ie, Sustrans, a few signs and not a single penny spent on anything you can actually ride on) in the application.

Anyway, one lady has objected on the grounds that the extra cyclists would create more danger on the local roads. I kid you not.

Tom B

Guru
Well, you think that's bad.

Theres a proposed housing development near here in the planning phase. Much talk of the local sustainable cycling links (ie, Sustrans, a few signs and not a single penny spent on anything you can actually ride on) in the application.

Anyway, one lady has objected on the grounds that the extra cyclists would create more danger on the local roads. I kid you not.

Is it still open? Can we all comment on it? I love a good planning rant.

Top Bottom