In-Car PC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SmileyBoots

Über Member
Has anyone else heard about this in-car pc and shuddered:
http://www.in-carpc.co.uk/

It will allow the driver to access the internet, send/receive emails, etc. All the normal pc stuff including playing games when they get bored watching the road.

Compared with the distractions caused by a phone conversation, I hate to think what will happen while they are making a bid on EBay.

Maybe that's why pc's are know to display the "blue screen of death"

Appologies if this subject has been covered before. I'm new to this blog but not to looking over my shoulder in fear.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's the sort of stuff boy racers put in, PS2/3's etc.....usually for messing about with on supermarket carparks on an evening !

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Quote from the webpage:
"Would you like to be as connected and productive in your car as you are elsewhere"
er...no. Now p!$$ off and leave us alone! (Mind you, I bet in abt 2 yrs time all the parents'll have one, to keep the nippers dazed and confused on long journeys..... so I'll have one in about 15yrs time, then, by which time I'll prob'ly be a granddad!)

Bigtallfatbloke

No issues with it as long as it's only fitted for use in the rear seats. But use in either of the front seats wouldbe distracting. Isnt this sort of thing covered under the same laws as mobile phone use?

domtyler

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
no mac version? pah!

I think the actual box is hidden away in the boot so no real need for a computer that is only designed to look pretty on the desk.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes it is covered by the same sets of regulations I believe.

I think rear ones are inevitable eventually, the idea has been touted for a very, very long time. When it becomes standard one should worry, optional extras at production are more rarely taken up or build ins.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Whenever I hear the word 'productive' I want to kill someone...

dodgy

I was in my local's beer garden yesterday, right next to the car park. A couple turn up, get a couple of pints and some crisps in and proceed to consume them while sat in the front seats of the car. It wasn't a particularly bad day (we were sat outside anyway), but if it was too bad to sit outside, why didn't they go inside? And if they' don't like mixing with others, why not stay at home?

Just looked weird, but my point is that motorists get weirdly obsessed with their cars (even more than cyclists do with their bikes).

Dave.

Trillian

surely the screens that are visible to the driver shut off when the car is in use in accordance to vehicle regulations in the uk?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Uncle Mort said:
Presumably that's why you're an academic, FM :smile:

ha ha. :angry:

(but seriously, productivity and performance indicators are part and parcel of British university life now... it's one of the reasons I am likely to be leaving soon)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Trillian said:
surely the screens that are visible to the driver shut off when the car is in use in accordance to vehicle regulations in the uk?

And they would be powered how with the vehicle totally off?

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
And they would be powered how with the vehicle totally off?

I guess Trillian means the screen shut off when the engine is running as opposed to the ignition merely ON on the first click...

Top Bottom