In-Car PC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rhg

@Evilcat:

While it's true that many people won't need all the features a PC can provide, on the other hand there are lots who will, particular those who travel as part of their job. People spend so much time in their cars these days, and there are a lot of things that most people do every day that you can do much better on a PC than any other device - browsing the internet, writing emails, creating documents and spreadsheets, using remote desktop, etc. Yes, you can do some of those things on PDAs, but it's not nearly as easy to use. Emails, for example - Ok for a one-liner, but typing on a PDA gets quite tiring after a while. And the formatting of documents often gets muddled up when you use the mobile version of word. If you're away from the office, having facilities like this available in the car is surely going to be a life saver for many businesses.

Regarding mounting the screen, have a look at www.in-carpc.co.uk/vision. There's loads of options there, including screens that fit in both single and double din slots, which most modern cars have (even if they don't appear to at first glance), so the screen will be exactly where the manufacturer intended the radio to be, which is normally going to be positioned as close to eye level as possible. For cars that don't have din slots it says you can sometimes use the existing display.

I disagree that a bigger screen is less safe. Have a look at the sat-nav screenshot at www.in-carpc.co.uk/satnav. There's room on there for both a nice clear map (which on its own is probably about the same size as a portable device) and a list of turns so you know which lane to be in. I think the small screen size of portable devices severely limits them - there's a lot of information crammed into a very small space. Obviously if you had a 32" plasma tv in there it might get in the way a bit, but most of the car pc displays are about 7", which I think is a very nice size, and is similar to what manufacturers put in their cars anyway.

You also hear stories of having to wait quite a long time (up to 30 seconds) for portable devices to calculate a route. I should think navigation software running on a proper PC would be able to make mincemeat of that.

Regarding Sync, as you say yourself, it can't even do sat-nav, let alone PC related tasks, so it's irrelevant at the moment. And I think you're being a bit unfair to call it 'bolted on' - seems like quite a neat job to me, especially the head rest displays and the one that comes out of the dashboard.

I suppose if you only grudgingly accept that sat-nav is useful (which I find absolutely essential) then you're bound to be sceptical of things that go further as technology moves on.

Evilcat

rhg said:
@Evilcat:
While it's true that many people won't need all the features a PC can provide, on the other hand there are lots who will, particular those who travel as part of their job.
They ought to be concentrating on driving, not composing emails. I used to travel a lot around the UK for work (30,000+ business miles per year: ran a nationwide organisation of 450 people in 14 offices) and found that a mobile phone and PDA was wholly sufficient.

rhg said:
including screens that fit in both single and double din slots, which most modern cars have (even if they don't appear to at first glance)
Care to suggest where to mount a screen in an Audi, BMW or Mercedes? All recent models have LCD screens positioned at the correct height (BMW and recent Mercs have the best positioning), so an external PC screen would either obscure them or be positioned too low.

rhg said:
For cars that don't have din slots it says you can sometimes use the existing display.
Right, so I presume they can integrate with the MOST bus on a modern BMW and the iDrive controller? No, I thought not...

rhg said:
Regarding Sync, as you say yourself, it can't even do sat-nav, let alone PC related tasks, so it's irrelevant at the moment.
The Ford (and Fiat) implementation of Microsoft Auto is only intended for music, but there is no reason why a vendor could not deliver, say, TomTom SatNav on the platform. And it has the benefit of allowing manufacturer interfaces to the ECU and so on.

rhg said:
I suppose if you only grudgingly accept that sat-nav is useful (which I find absolutely essential) then you're bound to be sceptical of things that go further as technology moves on.
The point is that this is not technology 'moving on'. Instead it's a clumsy addition of a PC to cars that, for recent models, already have plenty of processing power. I'd far rather stick with an in-built solution for navigation, communications and the like, than have some third party bozos wire up a clunky, clumsy set of hardware.

EC

rhg

Evilcat said:
They ought to be concentrating on driving, not composing emails.

I thought we'd covered this - you can't use it for doing silly things while driving. See the link I posted earlier.

Evilcat said:
I used to travel a lot around the UK for work (30,000+ business miles per year: ran a nationwide organisation of 450 people in 14 offices) and found that a mobile phone and PDA was wholly sufficient.

Maybe a PDA was ok for you, but some people will need something that does more, and they'll want to use it while they're in their car (not while actually driving, of course).

Evilcat said:
Care to suggest where to mount a screen in an Audi, BMW or Mercedes? All recent models have LCD screens positioned at the correct height (BMW and recent Mercs have the best positioning), so an external PC screen would either obscure them or be positioned too low.

If the car already has an LCD display then in most cases that can be used.

Evilcat said:
Right, so I presume they can integrate with the MOST bus on a modern BMW and the iDrive controller? No, I thought not...

You can certainly get the computer to show up on the screens in new Audis and BMWs. It won't integrate with the iDrive or MMI controller but why does it need to? If I want to type I'd prefer to use voice recognition or a QWERTY keyboard, not an iDrive controller.

Evilcat said:
The Ford (and Fiat) implementation of Microsoft Auto is only intended for music, but there is no reason why a vendor could not deliver, say, TomTom SatNav on the platform. And it has the benefit of allowing manufacturer interfaces to the ECU and so on.

But nobody's doing this at the moment so it's academic. Car computers are available right now and have been for some time.

Evilcat said:
The point is that this is not technology 'moving on'. Instead it's a clumsy addition of a PC to cars that, for recent models, already have plenty of processing power. I'd far rather stick with an in-built solution for navigation, communications and the like, than have some third party bozos wire up a clunky, clumsy set of hardware.

Modern cars do have plenty of processing power, but that's being used for ABS, traction control, stability programs, etc. You can't use it to send an email. There's no solution currently offered by any car manufacturer that comes close to a car computer.

Top Bottom