In line cable adjuster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmw492

Veteran
I’m replacing my Ultegra front derailleur with a new one like for like, decided to get new gear cables to refresh the shifting seeing as a new one is going on, I have a front in line adjuster from the shifter, is it best to keep it on or do away with it , I have a Giant TCR Advanced 1 2019 , seen some bikes don’t have them, I just don’t know hence any advice on this , cheers

I’m replacing my Ultegra front derailleur with a new one like for like, decided to get new gear cables to refresh the shifting seeing as a new one is going on, I have a front in line adjuster from the shifter, is it best to keep it on or do away with it , I have a Giant TCR Advanced 1 2019 , seen some bikes don’t have them, I just don’t know hence any advice on this , cheers

Not essential but, as front mechs aren't as easily adjustable as rear mechs it can be useful if fine tuning is needed, especially when out on the road.

si_c

Guru
Depends on the derailleur, I would say that for a modern (R8000) Ultegra derailleur then you probably don't need it - there is adjustment on the derailleur itself.

For older derailleurs (with the long arm, 7900 or earlier, 5800 105, etc) then it's worth keeping as their is no adjustment on the derailleur itself.

That being said, assuming that the derailleur is set up correctly in the first instance there shouldn't be a need to adjust later.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Depends on the derailleur, I would say that for a modern (R8000) Ultegra derailleur then you probably don't need it - there is adjustment on the derailleur itself.

For older derailleurs (with the long arm, 7900 or earlier, 5800 105, etc) then it's worth keeping as their is no adjustment on the derailleur itself.

That being said, assuming that the derailleur is set up correctly in the first instance there shouldn't be a need to adjust later.

Yes it’s the R8000 👍🏼

si_c

Guru
Yes it’s the R8000 👍🏼

Then you don't need one, there is an adjuster in the derailleur itself, it won't hurt necessarily but if you leave it outside a lot then it does add another point where water can get in. I had one on my old commuter and the first time I changed the cables the ends of the outers had started rusting.

Top Bottom