In My Previous Life.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
in my previous life i was known as urrrrrrrrrrs on the old cycling + forum, some of you will remember me as the devil/satan/over from the DARKSIDE, A LONDON CABBIE !!!:smile:

Well i am back and a lot has changed to me,
1) i have considerably mellowed more towards you guys/gals i have also had a few run-ins,even with my fellow black taxi friends !!! and can now appreciate where you come from and why you do it !!

2)last july after trying out cycling for 2 months i thought this was for me and would take it seriously,so much so that after a chat with someone i joined a club,Kingston Wheelers to be precise,even though they are about 25 miles South of where i live,here in Borehamwood Hertfordshire(its a long story why i joined them).After i joined KW and started cycling more and more my weight started to come down at the time i was over 21 1/2 stone and it wasnt a pretty sight !!! but i could feel the difference,this got me thinking.........now i dont know if any of you remember ,but at the time i was in remission for Cancer(Testicular) well on 13 February 2008 i celebrated the end of the 10 years in remission(how i will miss those once a year visits to the UCH Hospital and the check ups with those lovely female Doctors:biggrin:) and was completely discharged and as a thought maybe i could give something back to the cancer fraternity and with me getting into cycling in a big way,thats it !!! a charity bike ride !!! it seemed far fetched at the time and i had some doubters i would be able to do a ride,but i was adamant and entered the ETAPE DU TOUR 2008 !!!:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

and so with the help of lots of people within Kingston Wheelers CC,we set about getting me into shape !!!! I can now state that yesterday 5th March 2008(on this day in 1998 i was diagnosed with cancer) i am at the stage of-:

my weight is now 17stone dead ,a loss of 4stone 9 lbs i can regularly ride 65+ miles ,i am out on the bike 6 days a week compared to the odd 1 or 2 days,i am about to see if i can get around RP in 1 hour,have not eaten a maccy d's since xmas,virtually cut out all fizzy crap,now gone tea total until the evening of the etape and rediscovered foods i used to hate

so in summary with the help of cycling i have had to through away 95% of my clothes,i admit i look good in lycra:biggrin: ,feeling a lot more confident about myself and safe in the knowledge that i will live longer :biggrin:

in the meantime you can check me out on the Kngston Wheelers website under the introducing section

and this weekend i will be collecting my new toy- a spesh roubaix expert 2008 with a triple(CHEAT)

Happy Cycling !!!!!

Nice one urrrrrs/gezza, great news! I remember you from C+ and always thought you sounded pretty keen to get into cycling more. Glad to see you have!

We want 'urrrrrrrrrrs'!
Hello dear boy - I keep looking out for an exocet in Regents Park as I pass through each day - remember last year you were being gently persuaded to do 'laps':smile:?
Well done on all counts gezza and brilliant for setting yourself the goal of Etape.
How's the harem of Eastern Europeans who were attending to your every need?:ohmy: I think we should be told!!!
You're a cabbie - surely Soapbox beckons? :biggrin:
(Can't get used to gezza...mutter mutter...:smile:)

Aperitif said:
We want 'urrrrrrrrrrs'!
How's the harem of Eastern Europeans who were attending to your every need?:biggrin: I think we should be told!!!

still do attend to my needs and also the cleaning of my house,except i wont let them touch my new 40" lcd samsung tv:biggrin:
trips to the deepest darkest corner of the czech republic to visit her parentes are always great as they cant speak a word of english and i only know one phrase in czech "DVA RADEGAST PROSIM" which transalated means "2 RADEGAST BEERS PLEASE":biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
Welcome back Gerry/urrrrrrrs/gezza! :smile: (Cycle Chat is the new C+!)

Good to see you've finally got yourself in shape mate. I knew you would!
Now you've given up so much of your past evils, surely it must be time to give up driving that Cab and become a pro cyclist? :biggrin:

Good on ya, urrrrrrs!
A good enough story to make a TV documentary about.
Driver/cyclist relationship; overweight to becoming healthy; cancer patient to become cured.

Good luck, and I/we look forward to when you hit the 15 stone mark! :biggrin:

papercorn2000

Good man, lookout for my cousin on the etape, you'll surely bump into him. Welsh Accent, thinning blond hair. You can't miss him!

I was only on C+ briefly but I remember you posting as well. Well done, inspirational stuff, far braver than me.

yenrod

>urrrrrrrrrrs/gezza - I remember you - esp. with that test. cancer thing: good to hear your on the up esp. on a bike and have opened your mind to the real things in life and not just CARS !

I was looking at the EDT but you had to have your Ent. form in by Feb.

Anyhow - ALL the best lad ! ;)

Will1985

Über Member
Hi urrrrrrs - I remember you! Welcome back (or is that welcome?) - you have come to the better place ;)

Good luck with your EdT - no shame in a triple for that ride either....if I were there, I'd certainly have a 13-29 with a compact (which is virtually the same as 30x26)!!

Will1985

Über Member
P.S. How about taking a CC jersey to the Etape? Drop in on the Great CycleChat Jersey Relay thread, or look out in the next few days when I hopefully start round 2 of ordering.

Will1985 said:
P.S. How about taking a CC jersey to the Etape? Drop in on the Great CycleChat Jersey Relay thread, or look out in the next few days when I hopefully start round 2 of ordering.

i will take one on the proviso that it comes in a size of more than beanpole as i am slightly big-boned:tongue: (I have to rely on prendas at the mo for the bigger sizes ),it is made for the more descerning of tastes:tongue:
are there any shorts to match or will i have to wear the dreaded liquigas 2007 shorts i was brought for xmas:blush: and have not worn:tongue:

Top Bottom