In need of a pump (presta-type valve)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bought a cyclocross bike, so now looking for a presta valve pump. I normally use a car pump or a hand pump, but they both have shraeder valves.

Any advice?

Might buy one from Halfords

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

vickster

Legendary Member
Anything but a Joe Blow Max for a roadbike, getting to 100psi or more is far too much effort! Might be ok for a CX if sticking with fat tyres :smile:

I'd go for Bontrager probably

I have one of these snazzy beasts which I picked up for £20 at their warehouse sale, a million times better than the Joe Blow max it replaced!

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/pearson-track-pump.html

That said, an adaptor as mentioned will be cheaper

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bought a cyclocross bike, so now looking for a presta valve pump. I normally use a car pump or a hand pump, but they both have shraeder valves.

Any advice?

Might buy one from Halfords
Many pumps have ends which can be swapped round to suit either type of valve. Are you sure that yours doesn't?

(I explained that to someone as I swapped my pump from Presta to Shraeder to inflate the tyres on her mountain bike, only to discover that the valves were actually a third type that I had never encountered before, since identified as Woods/Dunlop type!)

OP
OP
F
Many pumps have ends which can be swapped round to suit either type of valve. Are you sure that yours doesn't?

(I explained that to someone as I swapped my pump from Presta to Shraeder to inflate the tyres on her mountain bike, only to discover that the valves were actually a third type that I had never encountered before, since identified as Woods/Dunlop type!)

No it doesn't

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No it doesn't
Ah, ok.

Since you mentioned Halfords ... I went to buy one of THESE from Halfords but they were out of stock. I bought a very similar Halfords clone instead for the same price. It is very good, effectively a mini-trackpump. I'm sure that the Topeak is just as good or better.

With that pump design you can get a lot of air into the tube with the help of your body weight on the handle, rather than having to rely on brute force. The pumps definitely cater for both Shraeder and Presta valves.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Ordered a Topeak Micro Rocket CB from Amazon along with a new cycle computer.
A nice on the road pump, but if it is your only one you might find it hard work to reach a high pressure - e.g.100/110psi. I'd still recommend getting an adaptor so you can use one of your other pumps at home.
BTW GrumpyGregry I always carry a little valve spanner (about £1 from Wiggle) in case I come across one of those loose core valves. One of my spoke key slots also fits the valve core flats)

OP
OP
F
A nice on the road pump, but if it is your only one you might find it hard work to reach a high pressure - e.g.100/110psi. I'd still recommend getting an adaptor so you can use one of your other pumps at home.
BTW GrumpyGregry I always carry a little valve spanner (about £1 from Wiggle) in case I come across one of those loose core valves. One of my spoke key slots also fits the valve core flats)

That's ok. I won't be reaching 100 psi anyway.

Top Bottom