In need of help . 1988 Bianchi or new entry level

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Redman421

Hi. I'm wondering if the Bianchi Vittoria I am looking at is worth the asking price . He is asking 650$ Canadian. Am I better off buying new entry level road bike at 1000$ instead?

Screenshot_20220507-053601_Kijiji.jpg

Screenshot_20220507-053631_Kijiji.jpg

Screenshot_20220507-053635_Kijiji.jpg

Screenshot_20220507-053620_Kijiji.jpg

Screenshot_20220507-053612_Kijiji.jpg

Screenshot_20220507-053609_Kijiji.jpg

flyingosborn

So, what did you do? I can guarantee that someone somewhere thinks an old Bianchi like that that is definitely worth the money. Sometimes you have to forget the price of things and just cherish the article itself.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
So, what did you do? I can guarantee that someone somewhere thinks an old Bianchi like that that is definitely worth the money. Sometimes you have to forget the price of things and just cherish the article itself.

Suspect you might not get a reply...
Screenshot_20220805_204148_com.android.chrome_edit_27424944266126.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Those quirks give them character

Indeed but I think if your new to cycling then maybe the security of a warranty etc could be easier particularly if your not mechanically minded ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Indeed but I think if your new to cycling then maybe the security of a warranty etc could be easier particularly if your not mechanically minded ?

Shouldn't be riding a bike if you aren't mechanically minded :tongue::boxing:

That said I've 'literally' just pumped up the tyres for my neighbour - looks like it's been in the shed a while (new but dusty). Valves were wonky so he couldn't get his pump on them. The tube exploded at 40 PSI, so I went and re-aligned the rim tape and popped a new tube in for him.

Caperider

I sold a 1982 motobecane 12 spd in almost perfect condition for $175.00 so i would go for a newer one if it were me

nickb

Guru
Shouldn't be riding a bike if you aren't mechanically minded :tongue::boxing:

That said I've 'literally' just pumped up the tyres for my neighbour - looks like it's been in the shed a while (new but dusty).
So true. There must be thousands of nearly-new bikes lying about in the back of people's sheds or garages that got a flat in the first couple of weeks of ownership and the trip to the LBS is too much of a ballache for the owner to contemplate.

All uphill

Still rolling along
So true. There must be thousands of nearly-new bikes lying about in the back of people's sheds or garages that got a flat in the first couple of weeks of ownership and the trip to the LBS is too much of a ballache for the owner to contemplate.

I've seen how difficult it can be to get started cycling in this country; poorly assembled bike, sore bum and legs, scary roads, poor signage. Its amazing anyone gets past the conscious incompetence stage!

nickb

Guru
I've seen how difficult it can be to get started cycling in this country; poorly assembled bike, sore bum and legs, scary roads, poor signage. Its amazing anyone gets past the conscious incompetence stage!

Definitely. I got my first proper bike aged 6 or 7 - in the 1960s when cycling was virtually ubiquitous for kids. Most would have parents that cycled too and could pass the skills on, including basic maintenance.

By the age of 10, my dad had taught me to do pretty much everything I needed to know to be able to build a bike, including rebuilding hubs and bottom brackets. Few people ever need that level of mechanical ability, but fixing a puncture and adjusting brakes and gears should be within the grasp of most people that cycle.

Many parents now won't have any of those skills even if they wished to be able to pass them on. So where would people learn that today?

I can't imagine how terrifying it must be nowadays for anyone wanting to start commuting by bike if they hadn't ridden as a kid. Jumping on a bike for the first time, as an adult, to negotiate busy British urban roads, crowded by motorists with typical British attitudes towards cyclists is a huge barrier to getting started.

Sorry for the massive drift off-topic... I'd go for the Bianchi, if it was in the proper colour!

Top Bottom