In praise of a new tyre.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought a couple of Pirelli P Zero Velo tyres, at the cycle show, just to see what they’re like really.
I took the bike I’ve fitted them to for a ride this morning.

44DA26CD-3354-4FCA-A809-0ED750E85873.jpeg

https://www.relive.cc/view/1447187406

This wasn’t particularly long, but did include some pretty nasty, wet descents, with gravel and spikey stuff all over the road. I was told by the guy at the show that the ones I was looking at were aimed at the Continental GP4000sII, regarding construction, and performance. They actually outperform the Continentals by a margin, in my opinion, in terms of grip, traction, weight, and cornering / rolling performance, so I was expecting them to be cut to ribbons, by the time I got home. To my amazement, they are unmarked, no cuts, no nicks, and I haven’t had to dig any nasties out of them. It showed me just how fragile the Continentals are, in comparison, in my opinion. The box they come in is quite a thing as well, really sturdy, I could well imagine being able to use it to bury a dead Hamster in, if I had a dead Hamster. They’ve also put this handy pictorial guide to fitting the tyres, on the box.

01A8D426-2E19-4417-AE9E-F3483EA84CDB.jpeg

Which is nice.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I bought a couple of Pirelli P Zero Velo tyres, at the cycle show, just to see what they’re like really.
I took the bike I’ve fitted them to for a ride this morning.

View attachment 399513

https://www.relive.cc/view/1447187406

This wasn’t particularly long, but did include some pretty nasty, wet descents, with gravel and spikey stuff all over the road. I was told by the guy at the show that the ones I was looking at were aimed at the Continental GP4000sII, regarding construction, and performance. They actually outperform the Continentals by a margin, in my opinion, in terms of grip, traction, weight, and cornering / rolling performance, so I was expecting them to be cut to ribbons, by the time I got home. To my amazement, they are unmarked, no cuts, no nicks, and I haven’t had to dig any nasties out of them. It showed me just how fragile the Continentals are, in comparison, in my opinion. The box they come in is quite a thing as well, really sturdy, I could well imagine being able to use it to bury a dead Hamster in, if I had a dead Hamster. They’ve also put this handy pictorial guide to fitting the tyres, on the box.

View attachment 399514

Which is nice.
Sounds sounds like a very decent tyre. I have Pirelli P Zero’s on my car but had know idea they made bicycle tyres.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They used to make cycle tyres some time ago but stopped. The new range has been out about nine months I think. Hoping to capitalize on the car tyres name and popularity I think.

e-rider

crappy member
Pirelli used to make a lot of bicycle tyres but had a hiatus of several decades. They are back now playing catchup. They have certainly hit the ground running and are already not far behind the leaders.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I’d be interested too @Racing roadkill to hear how you are getting on with the Pirelli’s.
They are currently £20.99 for the 700c x 28mm here; I’m tempted.
https://bicyclechain.co.uk/product/51722/pirelli-p-zero-velo-race-tyre/
They are really very good. Not completely bomb proof, but very easy to get on and off the rim, if the fairy does pay a visit. The grip and rolling performance is comparable to a GP4000. At that price they are well worth a punt.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Not completely bomb proof, but very easy to get on and off the rim, if the fairy does pay a visit. The grip and rolling performance is comparable to a GP4000.
So how many times has the 'fairy visited' these tyres and how far have you ridden that bike (since it's one of 7)?
Characteristics seem very similar: Compare/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-2014-vs-pirelli-p-zero-velo-2017
At £21 for the Pirellis they would represent much better value than the 4000s (would struggle to get them for less than £30).

Top Bottom