In praise of Dahon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JaseO

Hi, I have been cycling on folders for many years. Initially with a Dawes Kingpin, then on a Ridgeback attache - both re badged Dahons.

Both have proven themselves to be excellent bikes, ridden across all sorts of terrain and in all weathers. The Kingpin is now semi retired and used on holiday, whilst the Attache deals with everyday use.

Problems to date have been minimal and the usual you expect with all bikes. No frame or hinge issues.

I write this post as I know when I was initially looking for a folder, the choice is bewildering. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Dahon or rebadged version.

Happy folding all!

Lonestar

Veteran
What size wheels 20"? I have 16" on my Brompton and they seem a bit small.Also surprised me how knackering it is to ride same.:whistle:

I have a 26" wheel Dahon Cadenza with the lockjaw fold. I don't fold it very much, I bought it because it was the only suitable bike with Alfine hub at the time. It has been reliable and dependable as my everyday urban utility bike for the past 6 years, riding 10-12miles/day almost every day.
The fold has been useful on occasion, mainly to fit inside a car boot.
Its good to see a company push the limits of bike design, beyond the usual race/mtb style.

Mr Foldy

My Dahon Mu8 is well into year 3. I do 10 miles a day on it, and I love it. Comfortable, fast, light and fun. It only wears out the bits that any bike wears out. And when I fold it for the bus or the train, that's when non folding cyclists suddenly get the point! As a commuter bike Dahon is a real gem, but this seems to be a well kept secret!

OP
OP
J

JaseO

My Dahon Mu8 is well into year 3. I do 10 miles a day on it, and I love it. Comfortable, fast, light and fun. It only wears out the bits that any bike wears out. And when I fold it for the bus or the train, that's when non folding cyclists suddenly get the point! As a commuter bike Dahon is a real gem, but this seems to be a well kept secret!

Hi, I use my folder everyday for the final couple of miles of the commute. It gets a pretty hard life and pretty much lives in the boot of the car. The hub gear on the attache is useful too.

Must admit I also tend to use it when cycling with the kids or to the shop, as it is more convenient than digging the full sizer out of the shed

mm

I have a Dahon Speed Pro - foldable sports bike.

A joy when it works, great fun.

Maybe the lower end models are better made, but I wouldn't buy another Dahon.

Some of the design is not well thought out (headset arrangement for a start) and aspects of the build are seriously dodgy. Of all my six bikes it caused by far the most trouble. And that's despite the fact that it is by far my least used bike - I don't live with it.

Parts were often very hard to get hold of, even with the wonders of the internet.

I tend to hord spares for bikes but I buy minimal stuff for the Dahon since I have the impression that it could die any day and I will be left with a load of non standard unusable bits. Part of me wishes it would just hurry up and die so that I can remember the good times.

Top Bottom