In Praise of........LBS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Not sure where to put this, but want to say something on behalf of my LBS. (and no, I don't run it, so it's not an advertorial ;))

Despite having been in there and taken up their time on several occasions since moving to Gloucester, my total expenditure until yesterday was a pound.

1. Ask about drivechain wear and approximate cost. Advised about 60, for new chain/sprocket and labour no need to replace chainwheel just yet although it is somewhat worn. Fixed this myself with help from excellent advice from folks here.

2. Muffed the chain length when replacing as above requiring removal of quick link, they didn't remove the link, but gave me a new one for a pound.

3. Muffed removing left pedal for replacement (couldn't shift old one despite buying a pedal spanner and knowing its reverse threaded) they removed it with a better pedal spanner than mine in 10 secs flat. No charge.

4. I've also asked about DI2 and disc brake bikes despite the fact they don't actually stock any and generally tyre kicked a bit around the place. (ya ok, this is what they should do for free on the basis of possible future sale) but there was no pressure.

5. I've looked at my brakes over the last few weeks and they needed new rear pads and in desperate need of adjustment, cable stretch I think, practically hitting handlebars with levers. Look it up on the web, but these are canti's and not the same type as the videos I found, not keen to mess with brakes if unsure what I'm doing, also feeling a bit at sea and bored of fettling, ask LBS, quoted 16 to replace rear pads and adjust both brakes. Left bike with them, 2 hours later phone call, done, 16 pounds, brakes massively improved. Sure it's not hard for them, but 16 quid won't pay the lighting bill for a day probably, and there are sets of pads more than that on wiggle.

So, I want to put a shout out for Mitchells, Barton Street, Gloucester.

Apologies about uselessness of information for those nowhere near, but felt a need to say not every business out there is trying to relieve you of your cash hand over fist and these guys helped me quite a bit for no / minimal cost. LBS can be good value for those of minimal fettling experience.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@EnPassant its nice to hear that your local bike shop is not a sell sell merchant like so many these days , my LBS is similar to yours and sometimes its just so cheap for them to do a job that would take me an hour to do when and if i can find the time slot , i just let them do it .

Top Bottom