Replacing worn 10 speed 105 drivetrain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Hello again to the helpful folks of cc.

I have a 5 year old specialized cx bike with a 10 speed 105 drivetrain, that is now pretty much worn out (or so I'm told, see below...). It's a compact with 12/27 rear and a somewhat unusual 48/34 front.

I know very little about bike maintenance and in a what must be a testament to it's basic design I've used it far longer than I probably should have maybe 4/5 years at an average of some 1k miles a year, less at the start more lately and in all that time it's never given me any trouble. So aside from an occasional tweak on the indexing barrel adjuster and an irregular clean and squirt of lubricant I've done nothing with it at all.

I have recently learned that I should probably have replaced various parts during this time: the chain (maybe 4 times); the cassette (maybe twice); and now the whole set is possibly done for. However, this is somewhat dependent on exactly which lbs you ask, I've tried about 4 or 5 and the suggestions run from, "It's totally shot, replace the lot £350" to "you can get away with those chainrings for a while yet, new cassette and chain and you're good to go £60".

A new bike is in prospect anyway as I want something more road oriented so I don't want to spend too much getting this one to anything more than 'serviceable' (stick some panniers on and go shopping, use in the wet...etc), by that I mean tiagra, sora, claris, non-shimano, I don't think I much mind. It doesn't need to be 105 for 105 (is this even possible now that 105 is 11 speed?)

I understand that any advice here will be under proviso since you can't get your hands on it to see the condition of the various parts (the chain and cassette can go, no issues, but the rings and its getting pricey, suffice to say they are clearly a little worn but don't appear to my eye as 'massively hooked' or 'sharper than sharks teeth'). But with that in mind I have a few questions if I may...

1. If I went 105 again, are the bits available, or am I going to keep finding they are the 11 speed variety? How do I tell which is which at wiggle/chainreaction etc?

2. I'm assuming that due to trickle down, todays 10 speed 'tiagra' is probably pretty much the same thing as a 5 year old 105, can I just use this like for like?

3a. Does 'transmitted wear' really exist? Up to a point I see the argument that a worn chain ring will accelerate the wear on a new chain and thence to the cassette, on the other hand the new stuff wears as well, I'm not sure that I really follow that a worn chain ring makes it that much worse/faster (particularly given that 3 of 4 lbs said I can probably get away with it a bit longer).

3b. If it does exist, since I have experienced not a single shifting error or slip, should I now just run what I have until such time as I do have an issue and then replace?

4. Can I do it myself? (if I use guides or videos from t'interweb?) Does the cassette need some special puller?

5. If I can't easily find a 48 large chainwheel, will 50 do? What chain length would I need? Is the derailleur good for this?

6. What's this guff about changing whole crankset I got from one source?

I have a very mild suspicion that some of these lbs have spotted a punter who knows little and are simply trying to sell me a new bike (that'd be the top estimates...;)), on the other hand maybe they are technically bang on and the lower estimates are just to get by.

Profuse apolgies for droning on but I like to try to provide all relevant information in one go if i can. I'm sure most of the lbs mean well, but I'm concerned that their advice isn't completely unbiased, particularly since it seems inconsistent.

Thanks.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
3b is your answer.

You're getting rid of the bike soon, it isn't giving you any trouble and unless it does save your cash. If you do need to replace anything, just cassette and chain will almost certainly do.

Easy to do yourself provided you have the tools, chain splitter, cassette removal tool and a chain whip.

Ajax Bay

Guru
New cassette
Shimano Tiagra 4700 10 Speed Cassette (11-25/12-28)
and new chain and all good to go. LBS will have both these items in stock at reasonable prices (so £60 fitted isn't unreasonable and seems sensible advice).
To fit these you will need a chain whip (to hold the cassette during lockring unlocking), a cassette lockring removal (splined) tool (Shimano), a chain breaker (to take your chain off and get the new one the right length), a chain quick link (will come with KMC chain), and the use of a large adjustable spanner (10+"). Less the spanner, these tools can be bought for less than £30 so with the cassette and chain - about £60 all up. Chain should be the same length as you've got on now. Would take some aces on Cyclechat less than 5 minutes to make these replacements - so less than an hour for you.
And you should not need to adjust the gears after fitting.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
New cassette
Shimano Tiagra 4700 10 Speed Cassette (11-25/12-28)
and new chain and all good to go. LBS will have both these items in stock at reasonable prices (so £60 fitted isn't unreasonable and seems sensible advice).
To fit these you will need a chain whip (to hold the cassette during lockring unlocking), a cassette lockring removal (splined) tool (Shimano), a chain breaker (to take your chain off and get the new one the right length), a chain quick link (will come with KMC chain), and the use of a large adjustable spanner (10+"). Less the spanner, these tools can be bought for less than £30 so with the cassette and chain - about £60 all up. Chain should be the same length as you've got on now. Would take some aces on Cyclechat less than 5 minutes to make these replacements - so less than an hour for you.
And you should not need to adjust the gears after fitting.
Agree wholeheartedly

OP
OP
EnPassant

EnPassant

Thanks a lot folks, I shall do this myself then. As the saying goes, "How hard can it be?" *.
Links great thanks Ajax I shall use those, get the tools and teach myself some new stuff. Read elsewhere here that those chains are better than Shimano too.

*expect the '"Help! I'm completely lost with this cassette/chain replacement, I've mangled all the parts and tools and my fingers" post in a few days......

T4tomo

Legendary Member
plenty of step by step videos on you tube. the tools cost a little, but the feeling of having don it yourself and taught yourself a bit of know how is priceless.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
plenty of step by step videos on you tube. the tools cost a little, but the feeling of having don it yourself and taught yourself a bit of know how is priceless.
Absolutely. For anything like this, YouTube is your friend. I personally would also make at least a mental note of the lbs's that tried to help me v the ones that tried to skin me - for future reference like...

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I have recently removed chainrings, cassette, jockey wheels and chain for a good clean. Bought the tools and watched youtube videos to get the knowledge. It's not as difficult as you think. Some rubber gloves would be handy as oily, greasy hands are annoying.

Ajax Bay

Guru
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/how-to-replace-a-bike-cassette-video-18234/
Personally I'd get the chain from my LBS (for only a few £s more). When you come to tighten the lockring, carefully start it onto the thread by hand, then spanner and as it gets tight there'll be plenty of clicks - 40Nm torque means nice and tight but remember you'll be taking it off sometime and there are no significant forces acting to push/pull the sprockets off the hub splines). And as a bonus the 28t sprocket will give you 3.7% lower low gear (marginal gain up the steepest hills). Reference @dickyknees compatibility help: any 10 speed chain and cassette (provided not Campagnolo) will be OK.

Agree with the idea to just change the cassette and chain. The chain-rings will cope unless very badly worn indeed, and you can see that they are not. This is an easy job to do yourself if you have the tools. Since such tools are rarely needed, the Aldi/Lidl toolkits would be more than adequate for the task. You will give the bike a new lease of life and the gear changes will be smoother and sweeter.

OP
OP
EnPassant

EnPassant

What a great bunch of folks, thanks. Tools and parts ordered. Hopefully no "I mangled this" posts to follow.

Now, what's the best bottom bracket I can get if I buy this new bike and succumb to my desire for a fondo with Ui2 and hydro disks? Seems it's rarely stated on the sales blurb....The idea of some variation of BB30 squeaking on a £2k + bike horrifies me.
No no, I will be asking this sometime probably, but not yet, there's a lot of research and not a little saving to be done before that, but that new Orro make or a Rose 3100cdx.....mmmm (this fool can't fix his own chains and sprockets yet and is gabbering about bb30? Walk before you can run ya eejit)

Ajax Bay

Guru
I recently wanted to put a 11-30 HG 500 Tiagra cassette on my 105 RD 5600 derailleur but as the compatibility chart showed the RD would not take it.
But this will, actually, work fine, (think HG 50 not 500) both from the largest sprocket PoV (despite what the 'chart' says - I have a '30' set up when I'm facing some serious hills on a long ride; in fact some have managed a 32t with the B screw right in), and the RD-5600 will cope with 35 (ie 16 + 19) easily.

Top Bottom