In praise of motorists who know what front fog lights are for.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It may be be because my commute is through in part unlit country roads, but there are an awful lot of car drivers who drive with their front fog lights on on clear evenings :stop: . I have given up even trying to let them know they have forgotten to turn them off as they either stare at you blankly or make some curt comment. So for all you motorists out there who know you shouldn't use your dazzling front fog lights if visibility is ok, I praise you :thumbsup: . Rant over :whistle:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Are you allowed to praise things/people that don't actually exist? :tongue:

dodgy

It's possible that these drivers are not using front fogs at all, they might be DRLs (Daylight Running Lights), and are required for all builds in 2011 (I think, must check). My car has them and my neighbour liked to point out that "you've left your lights on again", even after I showed him the controls he still thought he was right. On a car forum I use, some drivers have reported being reprimanded by policemen who are similarly convinced they're either fog lights or normal dipped lights.

As I said, it's possible...

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It's possible that these drivers are not using front fogs at all, they might be DRLs (Daylight Running Lights), and are required for all builds in 2011 (I think, must check). My car has them and my neighbour liked to point out that "you've left your lights on again", even after I showed him the controls he still thought he was right. On a car forum I use, some drivers have reported being reprimanded by policemen who are similarly convinced they're either fog lights or normal dipped lights.

As I said, it's possible...

I know what you mean but no those are sort of seperate side lights not as bright, think the current mini has them. They used to have them on Morris Minors back in the day. The ones that get me are the bright dazzling ones specifically designed for driving in fog.

stoofer

Specifically for when visibilty is reduced to 100 metres, if these guys can't see past 100 metres in normal conditions I would suggest they need their cataracts taken care of.

BenM

Veteran
those lights called 'fog lights' are nothing to do with reduced visibility - they simply indicate good drivers, and encourage others to get out of their way..... at least that is the conclusion I have come to over the years both in a car and on a cycle.
The other day I saw an excellent driver who had fog lights and headlights on even though it was daylight and the sun was shining. This served to confirm my opinion that the lights must indicated good driving.

/me takes tongue out of cheek

Davidc

Guru
Most recent car designs have interlocks so you have to put the front fog lights on in order to get the rear ones on.

The better designs automatically cancel the fogs when the lights are turned off, so to do what's stated in the OP takes a deliberate action not forgetfulness.

Top Bottom