In praise of older bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
This morning's job was to replace the chain and cassette on a neighbour's bike. The bike is a 1987 Claud Butler Black Diamond with 531 frame and fork.

Since buying this bike new the owner has completed dozens of audaxes, toured in Europe and commuted daily on it until about 2010. It's probably been ridden 150,000 miles or more.

Pretty much everything is original and works well. The rims are heavily worn and the freehub is wobbly, but otherwise it's ready for service.

I'm impressed!

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Three of my five are at least 30 years old.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Best thing about old bikes is they’re ‘bomb proof’. No batteries, no fine tuning, no expensive consumables - they just keep going. And if it dies, it’s economical to replace.
’83 Dawes Galaxy, just done the ‘tour of the moors’ this summer gone.

Attachments

• IMG_0551.jpeg
    IMG_0551.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
Yes, if you annually re-grease or replace with sealed, the bearings on the BB, hub, steering, pedals etc. Move or twist the seatpost twice a year, to stop it seizing. Get new rims when needed. Don't mind skinny tyres on road bikes, due to little clearance and their low gearing being inadequate.

Then hopefully, if the brakes stop you, they're great bikes.

I have a few. :hello:

My oldest one is my favourite by a mile. 1995 Cannondale (at the back).
Seems like yesterday when I got her home. HK$7000 changed hands, a precarious ride through the busy streets of Kowloon followed, then over to Hong Kong Island on the Star Ferry. Lionel Richie was oggling my shiny new MTB I seem to remember, must like his bikes? ... quick transfer on to the Lantau ferry and home.
Pretty sweet day all in all.
20211216_135303.jpg

Big John

Guru
I still ride the frame I raced on 1978-1980
View attachment 715017

I still pop in and see John Burton in his shop in Stafford. I rode with John for years and it only stopped when COVID came along when the group disbanded. Henry, his dad, died many years ago but the Henry Burton name continues despite strong competition from the 'big boys' such as Halfords and Evans. John builds a great bike and he he's not mentioned retirement even though he's over 70 now. The town is still full of his bikes when you look closely. A well made bike rarely dies.

Top Bottom