in praise of....Philip Seymour Hoffman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've stayed up late to watch 'The Savages' and there's a ticking in my head that says that once again, indeed, as ever, PSH has turned in a blinder.

American actors tend to the good-looking. Once in a while a Lloyd Bridges or a Peter Stormare (yeah, I know he's Swedish) pops up, but, mostly, they're easy on the eye. Hoffman's never been good looking - not even close. He's as near to a suet pudding as a human being can get, although he's blessed with a wonderful smokey voice. That voice is the basis of a way with words that few actors can match, but, and here's the rub, he's never settled on one way of using it. From the excitable loon in 'Twister' to the whiny loser in 'Boogie Nights' to the rounded but fractured authority in 'The Savages' his career is a wonderful butterfly/bee affair, in which he quietly, effortlessly makes the film he's in better. Even the ghastly 'The Boat that Rocked' becomes bearable (well, almost bearable) when he's on the screen.

Anyroadup - here's the trailer for The Savages. Recommended

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9G9OxHMhI

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes - he's an interesting actor.

I was very shocked to discover recently that ...
  1. He is only 45 years of age - 11 years younger than me. I'd have guessed he was about 60! He doesn't look healthy.
  2. My ex thinks he is an attractive man. Interesting, yes, but attractive ...? :wacko:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Wasn't he that brillitantly played annoying yank in Talented Mr Ripley?
he was, yes.

And Colin's right. For his age he's not in good shape. He moves like an old man, although that could be part of the schtick

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
We have the media telling us how wonderful the 'normal' leading men are, but it's often the case where the actor 3 rungs down the pecking order is the one that provides the real acting.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
He's amazing! Even when he puts on an awful (but I'm told realistic) voice in Capote
Capote really did sound like that. Lots of footage of him on YouTube.

Brilliant actor indeed, can't say I've ever seen a bad performance from him. One of those who can lift ordinary material into something rather special.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I watched one of my dear wifes movies with him in. Called Along Comes Polly. Ben Stiller.. WHO I HATE!
The movie was dire, but he was a hoot. His scenes had me laughing like a Hyena,.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I watched one of my dear wifes movies with him in. Called Along Comes Polly. Ben Stiller.. WHO I HATE!
The movie was dire, but he was a hoot. His scenes had me laughing like a Hyena,.

Rotten film but he was amazing in it and introduced me to the word 'shart' :biggrin: I've not seen every film he's been in but have enjoyed all the ones that I have seen. He's a brilliant actor.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes - he's an interesting actor.

I was very shocked to discover recently that ...
  1. He is only 45 years of age - 11 years younger than me. I'd have guessed he was about 60! He doesn't look healthy.
  2. My ex thinks he is an attractive man. Interesting, yes, but attractive ...? :wacko:
he was, yes.

And Colin's right. For his age he's not in good shape. He moves like an old man, although that could be part of the schtick
Unfortunately, we now know why ... :sad:

Linford

Found dead with a needle in his arm.

Will his kids look back in 20 years time and say whay a great legacy he left as an actor or instead that he thought more of jacking up than being there for them ?

What a wasted opportunity...

Linford

That is a rather horrible thing to say, given you can't possibly know what he was thinking. Typical of you though Linford.

And nor can you...but they are the ones who are going to have to grow up without a father.

From the perspective of a responsible parent, I thought you might understand how important it is to be there for little ones...that is more important to them than any career, or any selfish desire to shoot up on smack....especially after he had been through rehab last year and would have acknowledged how much of an effect abusing hard drugs has on the people around him. What he did was an elective choice, and something he would have thought about...you don't become a heroin addict overnight...it is something you really have to work at. He is beyond help, but the legacy he now leaves behind for them goes way beyond any acting accolade or platitude proffered.

As I said....it is the kids I feel sorry for, and not any luvvy-dahling tosh for what he did in his day job....

theclaud

Openly Marxist
And nor can you...but they are the ones who are going to have to grow up without a father.

From the perspective of a responsible parent, I thought you might understand how important it is to be there for little ones...that is more important to them than any career, or any selfish desire to shoot up on smack....especially after he had been through rehab last year and would have acknowledged how much of an effect abusing hard drugs has on the people around him. What he did was an elective choice, and something he would have thought about...you don't become a heroin addict overnight...it is something you really have to work at. He is beyond help, but the legacy he now leaves behind for them goes way beyond any acting accolade or platitude proffered.

As I said....it is the kids I feel sorry for, and not any luvvy-dahling tosh for what he did in his day job....

FFS.

Top Bottom