In praise of tyre liners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Isn't that going to reduce your tyre air volume considerably and spoil the ride quality? Plus if you do get a puncture regardless of the liner, it will go flat quicker if there's less air available to escape. If the ride quality is going to be adversely affected, you might as well just fit M+ instead of all that messing around. In fact, if I ran a really heavy e-bike I didn't want to have to pull a wheel out of too often, I would probably run M+ on the rear anyway (and normal M on the front).

I think Tannus would say the loss of air volume is made up for by the springiness in the liner.

My local bike shop has sold a couple of pairs.

The riders are presumed to be at least content because there has been no negative feedback.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
How does the cost compare of using these liners plus "normal" tyres to using very high puncture resistance tyres, such as M+, on their own without liners?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How does the cost compare of using these liners plus "normal" tyres to using very high puncture resistance tyres, such as M+, on their own without liners?
About thirty quid a pair for liners.

Nothing to stop you lining a Marathon Plus, but you could save a few quid and run a cheaper, less puncture resistant tyre.

On t'other hand, Marathons give good mileage, so may not be the expensive option.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Strangely, Tannus don't list any liners for traditional English roadster size wheels; ISO 590 26" x 1 3/8" or ISO 635 28" x 1 1/2". Given these sort of bikes are still being used by commuters and other riders who appreciate their low-maintenance robust construction, and will prioritise reliability above weight - I reckon Tannus are missing a trick here. I had no problem recently getting Marathon Greenguards 26" x 1 3/8" (on special offer - less than the Tannus liners!) when I wanted a couple of spares in stock - just fitted them to my "new" Raleigh rod-braked roadster, so Schwalbe clearly recognise a demand exists.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The similar threads feature is great isn't it?.:laugh: Just when you think a thread has sunk without trace, any one of us can bring it back from the dead and give it a new lease of life. And this one was quite recent compared to some that have been resurrected!
They knew how to make threads back in those days. All they need are a couple of posts and they are good as new. Far better than these terrible modern threads that you see. I wouldn't be seen dead posting in one of those.

;)

OP
OP
overmind

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I

I think the tyre liners I bought were about £10 for a pair. That's not that cheap but bear in mind you can re-use them again once the tyres are worn and and just transfer to the next tyre.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I

I think the tyre liners I bought were about £10 for a pair. That's not that cheap but bear in mind you can re-use them again once the tyres are worn and and just transfer to the next tyre.
Make sure that you CLEAN them thoroughly and be aware that they go hard as they age.
Personally I don't like them as they caused more problems than they solved for me.
The manufacturer's don't recommend re-using them.

Top Bottom