In praise of Vermarc Bibshorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After acquiring a bike, arguably the most important piece of kit one needs is a decent pair of shorts. My experience has been limited to my first pair - cheap and useful at the time but poor quality became apparent fairly quickly - and since then I have only purchased Altura - good value but felt more quality was required. As always, value was an important factor and Assos and Rapha were beyond budgetary constraints. I cannot remember how I stumbled across this company but decided to bite the bullet last year and was so impressed I have recently purchased a couple more.

They fit well, are supportive, not overly tight, bottom of the leg comes just below half way down my thigh, wide straps, slight pull on the shoulders but this disappears on the bike. I waited to post this review until I had completed a few longer rides to ensure they were as comfortable as they first appeared. I have now done 2 rides in excess of 6 hours in the saddle (courtesy of the marvellous FNRttC) and the shorts have lived up to my high expectations and more. I have absolutely no comfort complaints whatsoever.

Shorts are a personal and subjective matter but these work for me. I would not hesitate to buy more, as long as they last well.; time will tell.

The one potential drawback is they are a Belgian company and so subject to the vagaries of currency exchange and a reasonable €10 shipping fee to the UK. If you happen to be visiting Brussels though, a shop visit would seem sensible!

Latest purchase cost €74.95 which translated to £64 including shipping. (This was much cheaper last year when £ v € was much more favourable!). No, not cheap, but much, much less than the brands mentioned above where 3 digit pricing is de rigeur.

Top Bottom