In praise of.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Sir Ranulph Fiennes. A guy who does things just because they are there. At 68 years old, he's going to trek across Antarctica IN WINTER because no one has done it yet. When asked if this was his last expedition he said he didn't know but that he's always wanted to swim the channel because after all it's only a short distance and he's never done it.

He cut his frost bitten fingers off because he didn't want to trouble a doctor. He did this in his garden shed. When a doctor did see them, the doctor said he'd done a fantastic job.

The guy is a living legend. Completely and utterly bonkers but a legend all the same

Octet

Veteran
I couldn't agree with you more,

You shall notice that one of my favourite quotes is his and is in my signature.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing" - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

al78

Guru
I agree! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19609293 minus 90C is that possible?!:ohmy::cold: Anyway,:cheers:to him!!

That is referring to the world record coldest temperature, which was measured at Vostok, Antarctica, July 21st 1983, -89.2C.

It states here it may have reached -91C during the winter of 1997. That aside, if you look at the average monthly temperatures in the table at the bottom of that like you will see just how cold that place is.

tt123

Regular
I've only read two of his books "Where Soldiers Fear to Tread" and "The Feather Men". Both very good reads indeed, the latter is fiction (or not, depending on who you talk to), and was also made into a decent film. He does seem like a bit of a character.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm afraid I can't help thinking of Monty Python's Holy Grail.

Top Bottom