In Which I Relate an Unnusual Happenstance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
On my home up Wilmslow Road (a quick road, nominally a 30 limit, but not unusual for the traffic to treat it as a 40 or 50).

I'm at the lights in a lane that can be used as a left turn onto Turves Road, or straight on along Wilmslow Road. It'd taken me a while to turn out onto Wilmslow Road, and waiting in the queue at the lights I usually stay in the centre of the left hand lane to discourage left hooking. A chap pulled alongside me and rolled his passenger window down - I have to admit that I was expecting a tirade about moving over to the left (has happened before along here, and drivers have seemed unusually grumpy after the new year in Manchester).

So, I marshal my retorts, and get ready to reply, when the chap says...

"Hey mate! Your lights are excellent - absolutely first class - I can see you proper!"

There's a bit more in which he thanks me for considering the other folk on the road by making myself easy to see, during which I mumble thanks, and then the lights change.

Nice to have something good shouted at me though.

(If you're wondering what a first class lighting setup looks like, it consists of a Torch 9x light with integrated reflector on the third flash pattern, a Blackburn Mars4.0 on steady (both on the seat post) and a Smart Superflash on flash mounted to the seat stay). Up front there's a Knog Frog on flash and a high power, Cree emitter torch.

It's always nice to get complimented on your lights. I had the same thing from a policeman once, who wound down the passenger side window and yelled out of it "it's nice to see someone who believes in being seen!" as he overtook me.

I live there John and see plenty of cyclists who are not well lit, so nice to get a bit of recognition eh?

Was you on you're Raleigh? I'll keep an eye out for any uber bright commuters!!

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Rhythm Thief said:
It's always nice to get complimented on your lights. I had the same thing from a policeman once, who wound down the passenger side window and yelled out of it "it's nice to see someone who believes in being seen!" as he overtook me.

One of the nicest rides I ever had was when a Police car followed me - the road was too narrow to overtake, and the driver very considerately hung back 'til it was safe to pass. The effect was sort of like having a team car - the other traffic was too scared to pass him, so I had a very pleasant mile or so without worrying about being squeezed by overtaking traffic, and the effect continued for a little while after he'd passed too.

ChrisKH

Guru
The only comment I have had about my lights was from a Chav who said 'turn it off it's hurting my eyes'. Maybe it should have been dipped a bit. :biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
*amazed* he didn't mention your hiviz before your lights! LOLOL!

More seriously, it's nice when stuff like this happens. It gets both of you on your way feeling good about the world. I always try to give a compliment when I can, drivers are usually very chuffed!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I had another cyclist pull up beside me the other day and compliment me on my LEDal pedals, which was nice....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can't miss a Mars 4 or a superflash.....

I've had:-

'have you got enough lights mate'..... from a van driver coming the other way....

"oi turn them down" - when turning up to the Scout hut down a dark lane - explained to the folk...oh I got run over using these - the driver didn't see them......shock on their faces....

So can't be bad...must be a shock to decent drivers when they can see a cyclist properly.

thomas

the tank engine
For all the people who've been complained that their lights are too bright, are they brighter than a normal car's head light - or how do they compare?

I always wonder. The front light I have isn't great, if cycling back at night without street lights and things I only get a few meters sight but I don't cycle at night enough to warrant spending a lot of money on a set up - especially with summer coming up.

J4CKO

I turn mine down when its a lit road, put them on flash but if its dark I crank them up but angle them to the left and down, if I am worried about dazzling say on a narrow road when a car is coming the other way I will turn it down or put my hand over half of it, I have had a couple of comments but never sure whether its a criticism or reaction being blinded.

They are more intense that most car headlams, more focussed, I just think, hard shoot I have to put up all the crap off motorised vehicles so have a bit of dazzle if I am not quick enough on the switch.

Top Bottom