Incentives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Leaving the car at work on a Monday (or Sunday night) makes it more of an imperative than an incentive ^_^

Brains

Legendary Member
I think its more important to have the cycling facilities at work.

Covered, lit, secure, easily accessible, place to park the bike, ideally without the need to lock it up.
Lockers
Showers

In addition:
Fluffy white towels,
discount for breakfast for cyclists,
cycle to work scheme,
Pump and some basic tools.
drying area.

Drivers pay for their (very limited number of) parking slots to finance the above.
Our company has all the above !

Last edited:

rugby bloke

Veteran
I think its more important to have the cycling facilities at work.

Covered, lit, secure, easily accessible, place to park the bike, ideally without the need to lock it up.
Lockers
Showers

In addition:
Fluffy white towels,
discount for breakfast for cyclists,
cycle to work scheme,
Pump and some basic tools.
drying area.

Drivers pay for their (very limited number of) parking slots to finance the above.
Our company has all the above !
Most boxes ticked for my workplace - apart from the fluffy white towels and discount breakfast, which sound like by far the best incentives ! Going to have to have a chat with the FM team ...

Hi @sleuthey fellow South Glos cyclist.

Over the years for me, the motivation is chiefly "time-neutral exercise" - all the benefits of exercise in the fresh air without having to take "time out" specifically.

It sets off the enormous appetite for cake which I seem to have.

Other things which help certainly include having a shower at work & facilities to change, I can leave shirts/suit in the office and dry things off somewhat.

Even in the rain it's better than being stuck in traffic.

Exactly as above, spot on Arjimlad.

Next month marks my 43rd year of commuting (senior school 6 years, work 37 years), love it.

Brains

Legendary Member
IME the 'stick' works better, limiting car parking makes people think.

And ensuring the Car Parking people pay for use and more importantly can actually see where their money is going, into supporting other forms of transport.

In our company, the cyclists publicly thank the car drivers, each year, as the car parking pays for breakfast (and the showers and the fluffy white towels and the lockers and the pump ....)

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
Get everthing ready the night before (I have nowhere at work to store work clothes so need to take stuff in every day)
Boxes of instant porridge kept at work along with decent coffee.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
For me, the incentive is taking back control. I have a car and will occasionally drive. But its a very urban commute and involves lots of queues/slow moving traffic.

Cycling makes me feel I'm taking back control and giving two fingers to the system.

It's faster (20-25 mins v 35-40 by car)
It's healthier
It's less polluting
It causes less infrastructure damage
It's less harmful to 3rd parties
It's more law abiding
I work more effectively
Oh, & it's less expensive (which means I can afford a "better" car)

Top Bottom