Incoming…another Dawes Kingpin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went to pick up the ‘I didn’t mean to buy it’ Kingpin today. What colour is it? Burgundy? Brown? Anyway it rides ok, the brakes work and it stops, eventually, the gears are stuck in 3rd ATM, but that’ll be ok. Saddle is in good condition, but lost its badge, not sure if it a Mertens, Middlemores or a Brooks, I think it’s the latter but not certain. There’s a bit of rust which I’m sure I can sort out. Chain guard is really tatty, that’ll need work. The year 5/80 on the hub. I’m rather taken by the front rack and the D shaped light bracket. Not bad for 18 sovs.

View attachment 728164

View attachment 728165

View attachment 728166

View attachment 728167

View attachment 728168

View attachment 728169

View attachment 728170

View attachment 728171

Looks a bit crusty in parts, guessing it's been stored outside for some of its life, and may account for gear change problem.

On my recently acquired Stowaway, there were a couple of issues with the indicator chain. It had been over tightened at some stage, and twisted badly as a consequence. Upon removal to straighten it out, the shaft appeared to be a bit on the longish side. It was indeed too long compared to others of that era in my possession, so a replacement was fitted from my spares department.

So far so good, then onto the elephant in the room, the grip shifter. A more modern one fitted (will do till a trigger shifter comes my way), and all gears change perfectly now.

I believe you're comfortable with dismantling the hub if necessary, and you're welcome to any spare bits I have from a hub of around that date.
I'm glad your grubby hands are getting more grubby now - keep us posted :okay:

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Looks a bit crusty in parts, guessing it's been stored outside for some of its life, and may account for gear change problem.

On my recently acquired Stowaway, there were a couple of issues with the indicator chain. It had been over tightened at some stage, and twisted badly as a consequence. Upon removal to straighten it out, the shaft appeared to be a bit on the longish side. It was indeed too long compared to others of that era in my possession, so a replacement was fitted from my spares department.

So far so good, then onto the elephant in the room, the grip shifter. A more modern one fitted (will do till a trigger shifter comes my way), and all gears change perfectly now.

I believe you're comfortable with dismantling the hub if necessary, and you're welcome to any spare bits I have from a hub of around that date.
I'm glad your grubby hands are getting more grubby now - keep us posted :okay:

I am indeed familiar with dismantling the hubs, I can’t begin to tell you the joy I felt when discovering that rear hub was going to need a good fettling. I’m very much looking forward to it.

Top Bottom