Increase In Aggression This Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Anyone noticing more 'incidents' on their commutes since the beginning of this year?

Last year, I'd have maybe one stupid overtake or close pass or blind pull out a week. Now, I seem to get at least one a day, to the point where I'm beginning to enjoy cycling less.

Fuel price increases, more stories in the news, 'journalist' rants perhaps contributing to resentment towards cyclists?

Been lucky in a way I've only twice ever had anyone should at me whilst on my bike though since I started commuting, and very rarely get beeped.

nightoff

Not really had any incidents this year.

Might be because my commute skirts around the suburbs of a town and traffic usually moves ok keeping anger levels down.

There seems to be precious little moderating the aggression of a certain type of driver. And so it continues to deteriorate year on year. We need more tons of bricks.

BSRU

A Human Being
In general so far this year seems better than last year, it could just be a passing phase. I am also not comparing like with like as this is the first year I have cycled in January/February, so maybe it's always like this.

Could be due to being a bit quicker than before and being in correct road position especially for pinch points and left turns.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I don't experience a greater number of aggressive drivers; just the same few selfish gits as usual! It doesn't seem to be a personal thing; they do it to all other road users, regardless of their form of transport - I was close-passed by some a@@@hole the other day who then proceeded to tailgate and headlight-flash a perfectly innocent driver all the way through a 30 mph zone.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I agree jezston, not been a great year. I've been followed to the train station and threatened, had several deliberate pull-outs while they've been looking and smiling at me and the usual incompetence. All a bit depressing really. I think the reasons you give are spot on; there's been a lot of negative cycling press this year and it's only going to get worse as people's perceived increased motoring costs rise. Add in the fact that there'll be no plod around and no speed cameras and it's shaping up to be a great year.

Paul

MarkF

Guru
2pm today, I'm cycling up a long straight hill, I spy a MTB rider, struggling, up ahead. Now an opportunity to overtake rarely presents itself to a middle aged plodder like myself, so in a state of giddy excitment, I hunted him down.
:smile:
Caught him up, took a deep breath, looked behind and overtook him, BEEEEEEEP! :angry: On an A road with space for 4 cars to simultaneously pass, one guy decides he does not have enough room, not content with beeping he gave me the finger too.

I've had a few incidents this week.

turnout

Approaching my left turn, I indicated as a car waited to pull out, a car coming the other way turned right into the same road so drove alongside me, as the passenger stared and smiled at me. Was tempted to chase them as they turned into a pub car park but couldn't be arsed.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would say I haven't noticed any difference in aggression. The only thing I have noticed recently ... or to be precise not noticed is so many on mobile phones. Whether there has been a reduction or just that it's harder to notice in the lower light levels and they are less likely to have the car window down I'm not sure.

ohnovino

Large Member
January was awful, but recently the standard of driving here is better than it's ever been. This change seemed to coincide with the BBC report on cameras which I suppose might have something to do with it, but I think it's probably a coincidence and it will all average out over time.

buddha

Veteran
I had an Audi A4 :rolleyes: angrily beep me and then overtake too closely on Monday. Being on the A23 I easily caught him at the next set of lights, 100 metres down the road, and asked what the problem was.
First he said it must have been another car that beeped, then he couldn't remember (from a few seconds ago) and then it was a mistake, and then he apologised.
I need to get a camera.

I cant say I've seen much aggression this year apart from on the net/tv or heard on radio but then again I've only commuted 3 or 4 times to uni outside the peak.
Hopefully there isn't any more than last Jan/Feb, no mitigation but driving at this time of year generally feels worse because of the weather/ lack of light.

No more than normal unless it is chucking it down or a full moon.
For some reason both things seem make more people act like selfish idiots, judging from my very non-scientific study over the last decade or so.

Oh, also a crap performance from Forest does the same thing, so most weekends
rolleyes.gif

Bigsharn

Veteran
Today in the car (I was out with mum today) we witnessed a car crash (which if mum's reactions were any slower would have involved three cars) and 7 near misses. It's not just people being idiots to cyclists, it's people being idiots.

Top Bottom