Increasing cycle distance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
To be honest, you will probly be burning out faster on the exercise bike because its boring. When I 1st got my road bike, I thought 15 mile was a long way to cycle, but I went out riding, enjoyed it loads, just kept riding, because I was enjoying it so much I didnt want to go home yet, when I finally headed home after running out of familiar roads to cycle I google mapped my route, 26 miles, and still feeling fresh.

The enjoyment will push you on far beyond your own preconceptions of distance, just enjoy it.

Once you are comfortable start to increase your weekly longest ride distance by 10% a week or something :biggrin:

54 miles on a road bike, might not be super comfy, but it shouldnt be too much of a challenge for you. If I were you, I'd enter the 54 mile route without hesitation, the shorter one will only leave you wishing you did the longer route.

If you can ride 12.5 mile a day now, in a few weeks time, you will be able to do 20 mile a day easy. So the 26 mile route will barely be a challenge.

Norm

£Josh D said:
ta dude :L im going into to much depth over this, you would think it was to win the olympics hahaha thanks guys :biggrin:
TBH, I think that you are, yes. I (46 years old and... um... over 100kg :biggrin: ) went from zero to 60+ off-road miles in under 3 months. I took a train ride to deepest Wiltshire and cycled back again alongside canals and rivers. I followed the railway line so, if I did want to skip out, there were plenty of escape routes but I just kinda kept going until I got home. Although I didn't complain too hard when I got a puncture, it was a great excuse to sit for a few minutes. :biggrin:

I don't think about it, I go for a ride and, if I get tired, I slow down a bit. My kids (under 10) can do 15 miles with no problem. It might take a few hours but, so what? As you say, it's not the Olympics. :smile:

£Josh D said:
thanks for the advice guys, i didnt want to go out on my bike until i got my new road bike, but all these comments have set of a spark and i am going out tommorow to do a 8.75 mile start off cycle because i havent done one since god knows when. will this be hard if i can do 12.5 miles on exercise bike as i no that the wind etc decreases the mileage you can do?
Taking a camera gives you a great excuse to stop. You aren't having a breather, you've just spotted the perfect Kodak Moment. :biggrin:

Take it easy and you'll be wondering why you built the barriers inside your head when you get home. :thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Mark_Robson said:
A 15mph average will be very impressive for a beginner on a MTB over ten miles.... but go for it. :girl:

Agree'd

Train for distance 1st, speed later. If you are looking to do 54 miles. Racing round 10 mile at full steam every day will lead to burnout pretty quick. You need to train yourself to last the 54 mile, this will be about 3-3.5 hours solid riding, you need to build up to this. Your training regime sounds extreme. You need to consider this, being able to do 10 mile at your lactate threshold does not equal being able to cycle 50 miles. Its a different beast.

I average about 16.5-17mph (this includes time stopped at lights, its not a moving average) over 10 mile on a track bike, going pretty much all out 80% of the distance. Im a noob. You would have to be pretty fast to average 15 on normal roads over 10 mile day in day out (might do it one day, maybe 2 days, but then the aches will kick in, and you will end off pootling about or taking days off), especially if you are new to it and your max distance so far is 12.5 mile.

Maybe think less technically about this whole thing, 54 miles, is a respectable distance but all in all its not that far, just get yourself on your bike, and ride it, get out there and ride. Dont think about speed, etc, just enjoy it.

jimboalee

The way a turbo or gym bike compares with a real bike is simple.

When the sweat has soaked to the hem of your T shirt, you can stop and have a coffee.

BearPear

Veteran
Good luck with the riding Josh - my daughter's friends (both lads your age) got into cycling last year and regularly do 50 - 60 miles on their road bikes.

There's a lot to be said for youth & enthusiasm!

Sargent

I bought a road bike last year and havent looked back. It might make me slightly faster with no extra effort - but for me, that means cycling further and longer.

All the best

Top Bottom