Increasing the chainring size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Getfit, I have exactly the same problem as your self, I have a single chain ring on my bike a little lower geared than your self 44/11 top and 44/32 lowest with 26X1.6 tyres
I live in a very hilly area which the lowest of the gears cope with no problem but I regularly run out of gears at the high end on the flats/downhill’s at about 30/32ish MPH. I already have a chain set 52/42 which I intend to fit. In my area the main difficulty I have in maintaining speed is the state of the roads some of the holes/bumps and general state of the roads make this a near deadly pursuit. I would like to know from the other contributors why a mountain bike front shifter will not work?, mainly as this is what I was going to use, surely it's only shifting the same distance from gear to gear as long as you position it at the right height on the frame?

Many thanks all

Brad

RedBike

A MTB and a road bike front shifter pull different amounts of cable with each 'click'.
I suspect that with carefull use of the limit screws you could fudge things to work with a double chainring.

Again, a MTB from mech is only designed to handle a chainring up to 48. It might cope with 50, maybe even 52 but it's not really designed to!

jimboalee

The GOLDEN rule for all cyclists who are not in a race.

"Never pedal down hills. Let gravity do the work".

The SILVER rule is :-

"What goes down, will probably have to come back up".

OP
OP
getfit

getfit

jimboalee said:
The GOLDEN rule for all cyclists who are not in a race.

"Never pedal down hills. Let gravity do the work".

The SILVER rule is :-

"What goes down, will probably have to come back up".

Silver is oh so true, however the uphills always last too long and are too steep, the downhills too short and shallow.

Gold is the only time I get to keep up a constant speed and have any chance of making up time, so for now I will need to continue to pedal downhill.

GF

OP
OP
getfit

getfit

BADGER.BRAD said:
Getfit, I have exactly the same problem as your self, I have a single chain ring on my bike a little lower geared than your self 44/11 top and 44/32 lowest with 26X1.6 tyres
I live in a very hilly area which the lowest of the gears cope with no problem but I regularly run out of gears at the high end on the flats/downhill’s at about 30/32ish MPH. I already have a chain set 52/42 which I intend to fit. In my area the main difficulty I have in maintaining speed is the state of the roads some of the holes/bumps and general state of the roads make this a near deadly pursuit. I would like to know from the other contributors why a mountain bike front shifter will not work?, mainly as this is what I was going to use, surely it's only shifting the same distance from gear to gear as long as you position it at the right height on the frame?

Many thanks all

Brad

I know the area well. Having family in Quinton and Stourbridge. Some very steep hills around, let me know how you get on with the upgrade.

GF

Top Bottom