Increasing the height of my headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ade Thomas

Hello I recently bought a Boardman HYB 8.9 20/21 (Large - I’m 5’11”). I need to increase the height of the integrated headset by 2” as the current riding position gives me a pain in the base of my neck. There are countless stem extender risers on the internet and I’ve already tried and returned two. Halfords/ Boardman don’t have a part that does the job. Can anyone offer advice on whether there is one that is fit for purpose?
Ade

iluvmybike

Über Member
2" seems a lot to want to raise the bars on a brand new bike by - sounds to me like you may have the wrong size frame. Or are you new to cycling - if so then your body may need time to adapt to the position and you need to check that your saddle position is correct first off before changing other stuff

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
What's your inside leg measurement? Then measure for us the distance between the pedal axis (pedal in low position) to the top of the saddle at its midpoint.
And you thought come here for a 'free answer' :laugh:

DRM

Guru
At 5’11” a large frame is probably slightly too big, and perhaps you need to get used to it, an alternative could be some MTB riser handlebars as I think those stem extenders are dangerous

figbat

Slippery scientist
Check there’s a enough length in the front brake hose, you may have to replace that for a longer one. I assume the stem is currently at its highest possible height, with all the spacers beneath it?

Definitely think we need a photo of your set up.

Have you no height left on the fork steerer to adjust ?

A large frame for your height seems about right to me.

JohnHughes307

Über Member
Have you tried the usual technique of "flipping" the stem? Most stems are angled such that they are fairly flat when attached to the angled headset. If you turn the stem upside down it raise the handlebars by an inch or two. You can also buy a stem which adjusts to play with different heights.

The risers don't get a good press, most people don't seem to rate them.

Mr Celine

Discordian
According to the Halfords website the current bike has a stem that is integrated into the handlebars.
You didn't read to the end. According to that very website -
Halfords said:
Please Note: Due to supply chain disruption the Boardman HYB range will ship with conventional separate handlebars and stems going forwards.

Depending on when forwards was, it could have either integrated handlebars or proper ones.

Top Bottom