Independent front page story on cycle deaths...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The Disqus system still isnt allowing me in. I had wanted to clarify that the article highlights (not very effectively) how convicted drivers get away with their crime with a slap on the wrist (Solihull timetrialist, anyone). Annoying.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

aberal

Guru
Daily Mail and Standard are again on the offensive to make us out to be monsters:

http://www.thisislon...far-too-long.do
http://www.dailymail...-louts-law.html

Is that man, Sebastian Shakespeare a total arse? I quote...."Do not be misled by the propaganda. Bicycling is as hazardous as the man or woman behind the wheel. I know. The last time I rode a bicycle I collided with a traffic light." Where is his sense of logic? Traffic lights are clearly the problem - ban traffic lights and the problems is solved.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Is that man, Sebastian Shakespeare a total arse? I quote...."Do not be misled by the propaganda. Bicycling is as hazardous as the man or woman behind the wheel. I know. The last time I rode a bicycle I collided with a traffic light." Where is his sense of logic? Traffic lights are clearly the problem - ban traffic lights and the problems is solved.

He's a moron in that respect. He wants to assert that the vehicle turns you into an uncontrollable monster, rather than making the point that you make sure you know full well what you're doing before setting off. Its akin to buying a microlight copter and flying without any training. Ofcourse you're gonna crash.

I love the fact he talks b*ll*cks and then speaks of "propaganda". Nice touch. A second nice touch is to mention a non-existant cycle-lobby. It would be bloody loverly if we had one tbh, it might help deal with articles like this and the DM.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Is that man, Sebastian Shakespeare a total arse? I quote...."Do not be misled by the propaganda. Bicycling is as hazardous as the man or woman behind the wheel. I know. The last time I rode a bicycle I collided with a traffic light." Where is his sense of logic?
Where for that matter is his sense of sight? Traffic lights are large and quite visible objects (which in any case are not usually planted in the carriageway) which no competent road user should have trouble avoiding.

Thank you fr quoting from the article: it saves me and others from reading it and rewarding their trollish behaviour with advertising impressions

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Where for that matter is his sense of sight? Traffic lights are large and quite visible objects (which in any case are not usually planted in the carriageway) which no competent road user should have trouble avoiding.

Thank you fr quoting from the article: it saves me and others from reading it and rewarding their trollish behaviour with advertising impressions

Seriously, join up and leave some pro-cycling comment on there. Send in an email to their letters page too in critique. If they get enough they might realise how daft articles like that are. Plus it would waste their time reading them, LMAO! :thumbsup:

From the same article:
Cycling groups argue against the Bill because deaths are so rare, they say. According to figures from the Department of Transport from 2009, no pedestrians were killed in Britain by cyclists but 426 died in collision with motor vehicles. But deaths on the road due to drunken driving are not that common either (in 2007, of 2,946 people killed on UK roads, only 16%, or 460, came as a result of drink-driving) but it doesn't stop government implementing

Is he some kind of mental defective? >1 is rare, thus so is 460?? It's two orders of magnitude larger. How about I ask him for £1? I assume if he's ok with that, he'd be happy to give me £460. And I assume his newspaper would report an accident that killed 1 person in a similar way to one that killed £460.

</rant>

Dan B

Disengaged member
Seriously, join up and leave some pro-cycling comment on there. Send in an email to their letters page too in critique. If they get enough they might realise how daft articles like that are.

Daft how? More people viewing their site means more ad impressions means more money. If their aim is to make money, inflammatory opinion pieces are exactly the opposite of daft

+1

They don't care about being daft. Remember that the Daily Mail is apparently running an oncology project: dividing all objects in the world into those that cause cancer and those that prevent it.

"Coffee Prevents Cancer" and "Coffee Causes Cancer" both get page views and sales.

Edit: oops, it's the ES we are quoting - I even have a little more sympathy for the Daily Mail author who was knocked down by a cyclist, though he stepped onto the road without looking.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Daft how? More people viewing their site means more ad impressions means more money. If their aim is to make money, inflammatory opinion pieces are exactly the opposite of daft

Then in some way we have to let the advertisers know that we'd reconsider buying their products or that it puts them in poor favour as a result.. They're effectively sponsors of hatred or animosity

Most people have adblockers thesedays so I do wonder how advertisers make their money..

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
From Saturday's Independent - a letter:

Your headline, "Save our Cyclists", made me choke on my egg soldiers. I would be willing to support this campaign if cyclists were insured against the many accidents they cause; they pay a road tax (which would involve registration of the bicycle), and they undertake a test procedure that certifies them as being fit to ride on the highways (and not, as now, the pavement).

If cyclists were willing to take responsibility for their day-to-day use of the road, then people may take a positive view of your campaign, but cyclists contribute nothing but delays and aggravation in already hazardous road conditions.

Phil Higginbotham

Chesterfield, Derbyshire

In today's Independent, my response:

Phil Higginbotham (letters, 16 April) might like to consider that many cyclists already pay tax that help maintain our roads, both through income tax and Vehicle Excise Duty. And he might also like to consider how many more delays there would be on our roads if all those travelling by bike decided to go by car instead. He might further like to consider how much money is saved on NHS expenditure through the reduction of obesity through cycling.

Lastly, I assume Mr Higginbotham would also favour an insurance scheme and national testing for pedestrians, as they too cause accidents on our roads.

Or perhaps he might like to accept that cyclists have a right to use roads responsibly without the constant worry of being killed by the drivers who are either carelessly or wilfully a danger to cyclists.

aberal

Guru
In today's Independent, my response:

Phil Higginbotham (letters, 16 April) might like to consider that many cyclists already pay tax that help maintain our roads, both through income tax and Vehicle Excise Duty. And he might also like to consider how many more delays there would be on our roads if all those travelling by bike decided to go by car instead. He might further like to consider how much money is saved on NHS expenditure through the reduction of obesity through cycling.

Lastly, I assume Mr Higginbotham would also favour an insurance scheme and national testing for pedestrians, as they too cause accidents on our roads.

Or perhaps he might like to accept that cyclists have a right to use roads responsibly without the constant worry of being killed by the drivers who are either carelessly or wilfully a danger to cyclists.

Well done. :thumbsup:

It does seem to me that some of these people have had a logic/common sense by-pass operation. Or its a kind of myopia - car drivers are causing carnage all around, yet they focus their worries/anxieties/anger on cyclists.

Well done. :thumbsup:

It does seem to me that some of these people have had a logic/common sense by-pass operation. Or its a kind of myopia - car drivers are causing carnage all around, yet they focus their worries/anxieties/anger on cyclists.
On a whim I got the Independant today and saw that letter. Good measured response.
Tim

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
braintrumpet - well done; you actually wrote the response I only though about. I didn't think numpties like Mr Higginbotham read the Indie.

Paco de Bango

I work for quite a large construction company, so I sent this story to our Safety Director.

I asked him if we insist that are subcontractors and suppliers use the safety measures mentioned in the article for all their HGV drivers (cyclist awareness training, Sensors, braking etc). and if we don't can we make it our company policy

His response was very positive - ie we don't at the moment but he's gonna look into incorprating it into the policy.

I know that some London boroughs insist on it, and Crossrail also insist on driver training for vehicles over 3.5t iirc.

Why not have a look at your own workplace and see if your company can improve the safety of it's suppliers delivery drivers?

Of course none of that should distract from the obvious factor of how to behave around HGV's, but we could exert a bit of pressure to make some changes whether or not the EU decide to make it law.

Top Bottom