Indexing issues even after RD hanger alignment (1x11 drivetrain)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trenzterra

I have a 20" folding bike that is about a month old and came with a Tiagra drivetrain. It has a chainstay length of 400mm.

I subsequently switched it out to a 11 speed drivetrain (Shimano 105 R7000 with flatbar SL-RS700 shifter). The cassette is an Ultegra 11-30t and the chain is a KMC X11EL. 56T single chainring in front. All are brand new.

I was having indexing issues in that when I tuned the tension just right for the smaller cogs, the bigger cogs would have its indexing slightly off such that it will chatter. I would then have to turn the barrel adjuster clockwise, but when I went down to the smaller cogs, I would then experience a bit of chain chatter.

Having Googled extensively I thought the issue would be either the cable or the hanger. So I changed the shift cable and housing and made it slightly longer than needed to avoid shifting issues due to kinks etc. Then I bought the park tools DAG3 and aligned the hanger to about a 1mm-2mm tolerance (think it was off by about 4-5mm at the start).

The combination of these two steps seemed to help a little bit. However, I am still experiencing the symptoms, i.e. when shifting from the largest to second to third largest cogs, I get the same chatter noise and I need to turn the barrel adjuster about two clicks clockwise. But if I do so, I get a very slight chain chatter on the 2nd and 3rd smallest cogs. I tried changing shifter cables again to another Shimano but this did not help. The sound is very subtle but noticeable. I confirmed this by recording a slow motion video on my phone and the chain rubs against the smallest cog ever so slightly sometimes. Turning the barrel adjuster back anticlockwise works but then I end up with the same issue on the larger cogs.

While there are exactly one or two barrel adjuster positions that works reasonably well, you can tell it is a bit of a compromise as it is noisier than if it were perfectly indexed for that gear. Granted, this plays out mostly on the bike stand and on a noisier road, the slight noise is drowned out by the surroundings.

I have tried the following troubleshooting steps over the past week:
  • Changed shifter cables and housings twice (now using Jagwire Pros), tried both oiled and unoiled. No difference.
  • Tried my old RD (the Tiagra 4700 which has the same indexing ratio as the R7000), same issue
  • Re-checked the hanger alignment three times and did it within a <1mm margin of error (basically I made sure at the 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock positions the metal rod of the tool barely rubs against the rim. And yes, I did measure at the same spot on the wheel (the valve area).
  • Changed shifters in case the shifter was pulling the wrong amount of cable - no dice
  • Changed to a Shimano Ultegra 11-speed chain
  • Degreased the chain and re-lubed with Finish Line Ceramic Wax
  • Tried a smaller chainring -- 52T instead of 56T.
  • Adjusted B tension back and forth
I am really at a loss as to what to do next. Is this something I can improve on or this is a limitation given my short chainstay length?

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:You seem to have done everything and found cul-de-sacs at every turn.
"I am really at a loss as to what to do next."
Swap back to the perfectly good Tiagra shifter and RD?

Reactions: C R

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The only thing extra I can think is the cable routing, is it perfect especially at the derailleur end, going the right way into the clamp.

midlife

Guru
Way after my time but don't some modern mechs get a pit picky about which side of the clamp bolt the cable goes?

Top Bottom