Indexing not working...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattTrinder

Guys and Gals

I've recently upgraded the following on the missus 10y/o Raleigh MB.

5 speed Freewheel -> New Shimano 7speed HG freewheel
5 speed thumb shifters -> new Shimano 7 speed trigger shifters
New gear cable and outers.
New chain.

I've added a spacer between the freewheel side locknut and cone and redished the wheel so it all fits properly.

Previously on the 5 speed set up i could not get the indexing to work correctly - 3-4 always missed.

Annoyingly I'm still having the same problem with the new 7 speed setup - 4/5 still misses so we only have a range of 6 gears.

Is it time for a new rear mech - I always thought that they only went where the indexing mechanism placed them, but it's the only component left from the old setup that could be causing the issue...:smile:

Or is there a spacing issue between Shimano 7 speed freewheels and hubs that I don't know about - I assumed that they were the same.

Thanks

Matt

Mr Pig

Without seeing the thing it's pretty hard to say what's wrong. It could be a sticking cable, the limit screws on the mech, a jammed mech or it might just not be set up correctly. Unfortunately there's no way to know which without seeing it.

OP
OP
M

MattTrinder

Mr Pig said:
Without seeing the thing it's pretty hard to say what's wrong. It could be a sticking cable, the limit screws on the mech, a jammed mech or it might just not be set up correctly. Unfortunately there's no way to know which without seeing it.
1) New Cable and outer, problem occurred on old one, so unlikley to be the issue.
2) limit screws are out of the way
3) could be sticking on it's travel ?
4) always an option :rolleyes:

Top Bottom