Indexing out of alignment after spoke change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Morning all, you may remember my post asking for help after I broke a spoke earlier this week.
Well, the spoke is replaced, the wheel runs reasonably true so I rode to work this morning,

All was fine except the transmission is now noisy, its clicking, rattling and sometimes double shifting as if its slightly out of alignment.
I remember John the Monkey posting a good instructional video on setting the indexing up a while ago so I'm happy to have a go when I get home but I'm just wondering if I've done something wrong when I removed and refitted the cassette, would you expect the indexing to need realigning after doing this?
Everything looks straight to me and I even stopped and refitted the rear wheel on the way in this morning in case that wasn't sitting where it was originally but I just can't see anthing obviously wrong with it.

Keith Oates

Janner
It's possible you've moved something and only some adjustment is needed. Recently I've dismantled my roadie to take it from China to Vietnam and after rebuilding some adjustment was needed to the cable tensioner leading to the rear mechanism, a few turns and all was well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Superb, thanks Keith :biggrin:

Come to think of it, I was twiddling an adjustor to try to slacken off the brake at one point. Come to think of it though, that was actually the cable to the rear mech ;)

Mystery solved :angry:

Thanks again,

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Panter said:
Come to think of it, I was twiddling an adjustor to try to slacken off the brake at one point. Come to think of it though, that was actually the cable to the rear mech :biggrin:

Proper 'DOH' moment there then........

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Proper 'DOH' moment there then........
Certainly was, the realisation sunk in as I was typing too :ohmy:

Thanks for the link Liveaxle, I'm sure thats the one John TM posted before, saved me hunting for it anyway :biggrin:

All is well in index land again now :smile:

Top Bottom