Indicators...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domd1979

Veteran
I've a feeling there may have been a thread on this before, but can't find it...

Has anyone seen / tried these?

http://www.bicygnals.com

Work have ordered in a couple of sets for our pool bicycles, but I've been offered a borrow of them to try out on me own machine first!

doyler78

Seen those on Something for the Weekend a couple of weeks ago and couldn't help laughing at them. Couldn't imagine who would use them. Guess I know now - lol.

They are just too big a don't do anything you can't do with your arm. Creating a need for something which isn't really needed. Just another piece of junk on the bike.

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
Yep - I lay no claim to being entirely sane. ;)

I reckon I will try them out, cos it isn't going to cost me anything, and I'm curious what the reaction will be in traffic versus arm signalling.

doyler78 said:
Seen those on Something for the Weekend a couple of weeks ago and couldn't help laughing at them. Couldn't imagine who would use them. Guess I know now - lol.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
domd1979 said:
I've a feeling there may have been a thread on this before, but can't find it...

Has anyone seen / tried these?

http://www.bicygnals.com

Work have ordered in a couple of sets for our pool bicycles, but I've been offered a borrow of them to try out on me own machine first!

I mentioned them before in a thread called "look no hands". I have spent the last month in purgatory.

Which wasn't as bad as having my saddle removed and being forced to sit down going down a cobbled hill !

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
A colleague's brother got his arm broken whilst signalling right because a car/caravan decided to ignore said signal, proceeded to overtake (closely) and the caravan clouted his arm...

doyler78 said:
:biggrin: You expecting to lose your arms :biggrin:;)

doyler78

domd1979 said:
A colleague's brother got his arm broken whilst signalling right because a car/caravan decided to ignore said signal, proceeded to overtake (closely) and the caravan clouted his arm...

Yes sad as that is however as a backup it really isn't practical. Its an ambulance I would be looking not a bicygnal :biggrin:

I do however see that for someone who has experienced this or knows someone who has experienced this then they may think this is a good idea however its something that overly concerns me as I think my chances of this happening are quite low so therefore out of pure vanity I wouldn't be seen dead with them on my bike.

Arch

Married to Night Train
How would it stand with the Highway Code, using these insread of an arm signal...

<goes away to check>

Hmmm.

Rules say you must 'indicate clearly'. Additional PDF on signals to other road users describes arm signals as "For use when direction signal indicators are not used, orwhen necessary to reinforce signal indicators and stop lights. Also for use by pedal cyclists and those in charge of horses". So it doesn't actually say it has to be an arm signal. Ok...

So I guess it depends on whether the indicators are 'clear'. Personally, I wouldn't trust them alone, because I think they'd be too close together to give a clealr message from a distance and drivers are not expecting a pedal cycle to have them, and instead will be looking for (assuming they care) an arm signal. Interesting then, that the definition of 'clear' might depend as much on the perceptions of other road users as on the inherent clarity of the device...

Which is a roundabout way of saying, I'll stick to arm signals. I suspect a stripe of scotchlite down the arm culminating in an arrow on the glove would be be more effective in the dark, and a bright yellow sleeve more effective in the light.

PrettyboyTim

I think there's something to be said for them. Unlike motor vehicles with indicators, you often can't maintain your signal throughout the whole approach and execution the maneuver you're signalling. Something that indicated your intentions even when you need to put your hands back onto the bars might be quite useful.

On a related note, I really would like to have a brake light.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Can't quite decide if they would be useful as PrettyboyTim suggests or a complete waste of time. I suspect they wouldn't be bright enough for most drivers to see and they wouldn't be looking for then either. So why don't you give em a try and let us know what happens...

karimali831

They are useless because they are not waterproof. The wireless communication will not work permanently once very wet. (even though they are coded and paired)

You got to ensure they are used in dry conditions only and they can be used for brake lights also (if using the indicators).

Only looks right on a MTB ;)

Top Bottom