Indoor cycling rocker plates.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A friend of mine would like me to make him a rocker plate for his indoor set up. I have looked at some, and it seems to me that there is not enough movement in the required planes. Has anyone used them? What were your thoughts? I have a few ideas, but would like your experiences (if any)

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I have around 2 inches (Up Down) movement in my rocker plate depending on what pressure I set the inner tubes to, of course that translates to a lot more movement at the saddle. Mine is a relatively narrow plate (600mm wide). Like all using a rod and pillow bearings I have no fore aft movement, but find I don't really need it.

I tend to ride for around an hour to an hour and a half on average, mostly sitting, and get little soreness, compared with soreness developing after 20 minutes without the plate. For the longer (2-3 hours) rides the soreness develops because of excess sweating rather than actually sitting in the saddle.

I know Cyclops have demoed a prototype rocker plate with up down and fore aft movement which may add to the realism effect, but may not actually make a massive benefit overall. In the Rocker Plate facebook group there are plans for U/D and F/A plates.

Venod

Eh up
My plate sounds very similar to @Aleman I have also fitted an old bearing under the front wheel support, so the steering moves a little.

There is a facebook group for rocker plates with lots of different ideas.

I find the movement it gives helps move your position on the saddle slightly during riding thus eliminating soreness by sitting in one position.

I also find I can power up long inclines faster sitting.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/415329188897706/

Venod

Eh up
No its not as natural as road riding, on the road you have wind, potholes, traffic, changes of direction all these have an effect on your riding position, but it is more realistic than without a rocker.
Its easy to get the timing wrong on a rocker plate, if you view some of the videos of people riding on a rocker you will see them leaning to the side of the down pedaling stroke, when on the road you naturally lean the other way (bike opposite way to pedal stroke) so you have to concentrate to get it right, as on the road I find pulling up on the brake hoods/handlebars helps develop the correct rhythm.

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive just finished my version 2 full length rocker . I have mine set firm using tennis balls

Attachments

• 20180914_171241.jpg
    20180914_171241.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 147
Top Bottom