Induction hobs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Our gas hob is showing its age and our pans need replacing so this might be the point to go electric. Past experiences of electric hobs has been poor with them being slower and less responsive than gas. I’m led to believe the new induction hobs are a step up. Any thoughts on where to start looking?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
We ditched our gas hob last year in favour of induction and haven't regretted it one bit. It has the instant controllability of gas, without any of the drawbacks. One of the things that has constantly fascinated me is the ability to put frozen veg in a pan of boiling water and within thirty seconds it's boiling again, it's complete witchcraft!

Useful thoughts, look at how they are controlled. We have a touchpad type control interface which is really clunky to use. I'm a bit annoyed with myself for not noticing earlier and it's the only thing that I don't like. I've sadly never seen one with physical knobs to control it, which would be far better. They all seem to have some kind of touchpad controls, so spend a little time checking out how they function if you can.

Physical pan size is also important to check, they all have different maximum pan sizes that they will take.

gbb

Legendary Member
As per Chris woody, we found the touch controls clunky on ours, press and nothing happened, again and again, quite frustrating at times. Other than that, it was brilliant. Then the top went, it had given fairly good service so we reverted back to halogen but now, the top surface is quite hard to clean. It's hard to find what's perfect in every way...

We switched from gas to electric with the induction and wouldn't go back to gas.

Induction hobs are BRILLIANT. I bought a single induction burner when they were really quite new and was converted instantly. I gave it to someone a few years ago, and bought myself a newer one.

Actual disadvantages :
1. If you do a great deal of cooking in a wok you won't like it anything like as much as a powerful gas burner, and if you often want to char the skin on peppers over an open flame, it's obviously no good for that.
2. If you rely on hob cooking to help keep your kitchen warm in winter, you might have to settle for a cooler kitchen, as there is far less heat wasted than with any form of conventional hob. However, to counter this, your kitchen will stay cooler in summer, so its swings and roundabouts.
3. You might need to buy new pans.

Precautions:
IMPORTANT If you have a pacemaker, or any other sort of implanted electronic device, check with your doctors before using an induction burner as to whether or not it will be affected by electromagnetic forces at such close quarters.

Other than that one caution above, they are safer than gas or conventional electric for everyone in every way, and the air quality in your kitchen will instantly improve if you've previously used gas. I always said - being a long-ti e gas hob user - that I could never use an electric hob with any degree of pleasure. An induction burner changed that, even my first one being comparable in responsiveness to a gas hob.
My induction burner - which has a specific 'boil water' setting - boils water faster than does my electric kettle.
If you're unsure about investing in a full hob, I suggest you buy yourself a single burner to try it out and get used to it. You can get a decent single one for not very much money and it will always come in handy for yourself or others. I discovered that most of my existing pans were ok for induction; I just needed to get a big stockpot and a small frying pan.
Be aware that they can make odd noises.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
We've got one in our new house. A Neff touch control (no knobs). I always loved gas but this is as good. Almost instant heat, very controllable (1-9 in 0.5 increments plus a boil max setting). Very easy to clean. We had to buy new pans but that's ok. Downsides are it doesn't like a wet surface and will shut off. But that's easily manageable. They scratch easily so don't go putting roasting trays on there. Apart from that, very happy and means we can clean to a like new finish after every use, unlike gas

We have an induction hob and as others have said the touch controls let it down. Sometimes a small splash of liquid from a pan lid as to remove it to check on something can switch it off and you might not notice it for a while….. then in other occasions a smear of grease or greasy water won’t let you use the controls at all and do you have to clean it…

Never again

Jotheboat

Go for it. The water we boil on our induction hob is soooo much nicer!

(We do like it, really)

Tenkaykev

Guru
Having recently had Solar PV and home battery installed we're transitioning our gas use to electric as much as possible. Our gas oven was on the blink with the door not making a tight seal ( I fixed this with a childs cupboard safety lock strap attached to the side of the oven housing and the oven door ) We got an Air Fryer last year and that has meant we rarely use the big oven. I got a Tefal single portable induction hob a couple of months ago to see how we like it ( we currently have a gas hob ) I think it is absolutely brilliant, a work of magic. Mrs TKK has yet to try it but I'm sure she will really take to it.
As someone else pointed out, if you previously use a gas hob then the kitchen will be cooler during cooking. ( I often look askance at Mrs TKK having the gas flame licking around the base of the pans but have learned to keep quiet 😉 )

Julia9054

Guru
One thing to be aware of is the size of the aperture in your worktop. We are researching changing from a gas hob to induction and the standard aperture size for an older gas hob and new induction hob seem to be slightly different with the gas hob being a bit shallower

OP
OP
G

geocycle

Legendary Member
Thanks for the comments folks, lots of love for induction hobs! Good point about the touch controls though, we have those on the oven and it can be a pain. Really good point about the aperture size, something to check as the worktop is granite. I’m so pleased I asked as now have some pointers to look out for.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Interesting Kev.
I am downsizing and will not have an oven or hob.
I have an airfryer, a toaster, microwave and toasty maker.
Was thinking along the lines of a portable induction hob. It would mean new pans......shame as my present ones are a good set but not compatible.....but I am willing to make that sacrifice if its worth it.

Top Bottom