Induction hobs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
It looks like we'll need to replace a gas hob very soon so might be going induction.

When I do a steak at the moment I blast the pan for a minute or two to get it sizzling before chucking the meat in, is that still possible with induction?

figbat

Slippery scientist
It looks like we'll need to replace a gas hob very soon so might be going induction.

When I do a steak at the moment I blast the pan for a minute or two to get it sizzling before chucking the meat in, is that still possible with induction?

Yep. I use a cast iron skillet and get it smoking hot on the induction hob before adding the steak.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes, I use a normal (formerly non stick but now not) pan and it's smoking within 30 seconds. If you only use 1 hot plate then there's no problem. If you've got 1 or 2 others on then it has to divert power to those so won't get as hot. Also if your pan is bowed then that'll affect heat as well, more surface in contact with the hot plate = more heat

OP
OP
G

geocycle

Legendary Member
Got our induction hob installed this week. Used it a few times and so far so good. Similar to cooking performance you get from gas. We ended up getting a fairly basic hotpoint which seems to do the job but without the bells and whistles. We had been looking at Bosch and AEG but they were all 1 cm too big to fit in the hole cut for the old gas hob in our granite worktop. Thanks to @Julia9054 for the warning!

Julia9054

Guru
Ours installed now too. Expensive factoring in the cost of the hob, getting a professional to install it (who wouldn't do it unless we had a properly registered gas person to disconnect the old hob) but Al loves it (I don't cook) and I find it easy to clean

Attachments

• 20240111_172831.jpg
    20240111_172831.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 9

T4tomo

Legendary Member

yes, but you don't need as long a "blast"

From what I can see from looking on the WWW

you get a problem with having more than one "ring" on full power at the same time
but the more expensive ones have far less of a problem than the less powerful ones

partly because they require a separate power feed from the fuse box so it can use more electrons

The ones that plug into a 13A normal socket will always have more of a problem than the ones with more power available I suppose

I am I right???

We are apparently "doing up the kitchen" in the next few months and the worktop/hob will be a major part of it
so it would be nice to know what I am talking about when we make a decision!

T4tomo

Legendary Member

you get a problem with having more than one "ring" on full power at the same time
but the more expensive ones have far less of a problem than the less powerful ones

partly because they require a separate power feed from the fuse box so it can use more electrons

The ones that plug into a 13A normal socket will always have more of a problem than the ones with more power available I suppose

I am I right???

We are apparently "doing up the kitchen" in the next few months and the worktop/hob will be a major part of it

broadly yes.

although even with the normal 13A least powerful ones, the "one ring on full power" isn't an issue in real life. they come to the boil so quick on full power that its not really a restriction, bring one to boil (<1 minute) turn it down a tad from full power, turn next one onto full power...
...but yes the more powerful versions would eliminate this completely.

Alex321

Veteran

I am I right???

I think you are right. We have never had an issue with multiple "rings" on at once, burt ours is connected to its own 32A circuit.

I'm not sure what it would do if we turned everything on to max at the same time, because the theoretical max power draw would be 13.99kW. That would be with all 4 hob zones on max, both ovens on max and the grill on max.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
We have a NEF which was around £360 so quite a good one. Even of 1 ring is on fairly low (2-4) then the full boil function does not work on another ring, it will just go to 9 which is ok but often not as high as you want

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I think you are right. We have never had an issue with multiple "rings" on at once, burt ours is connected to its own 32A circuit.

I'm not sure what it would do if we turned everything on to max at the same time, because the theoretical max power draw would be 13.99kW. That would be with all 4 hob zones on max, both ovens on max and the grill on max.

We have a Miele induction hob . Separate supply but I think its max power is 8kW . It heats up very quick , last house had an induction hob but when we moved here it was gas !! Horrible !! Anyways new kitchen got fitted and that was that .

Top Bottom