Inept abuse...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Christopher

Legendary Member
So one nice day I am cycling back into Preston wearing a bright yellow Campagnolo jersey. I pass three lads, one of who spots me and shouts: "Hey lads, it's Neil Armstrong! Alright Neil!!!" Then I hear one of the others say "No, you prawn, it's Lance Armstrong" "Oh. HEY LANCE!"... by which time I was some way down the road & chcuckling to myself...

On another ride I bloke in van pulled out of a side road near me, not in a dangerous fashion, leant out of his window and shouted "Hey boulder!" at me as he passed going the other way :?: . Pretty sure he said that and not "bend*r" which would have least had made sense.

and finally in Warrington one time I was stopped at a red light. There was no cross-traffic at all and a pedestrian came up to me and said "Why are you stopped?" "Because it's a red light. Cyclists are supposed to stop at them". "But there's no traffic, lad. Go-ooon, now. Goo-ooon" and waved his arms at me. "No thanks, I'll just wait". He shook his head and walked off. .. well not abuse but never been urged to RLJ by a pedestrian...
 

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Cycling is seen as a freakish activity by many folk.

Only you know the joy it brings so ignore 'em and keep riding with a smile.

"What, we just took the piss and he's smiling & waiving?"
 

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Toiling up a long hill out of Bradford on Avon - passed a couple of youths loitering outside the local newsagents - 'On Yer Bike' shouts one of them - 'Correct' I responded.
 
Loads of yobbos don't have the nouse to have a clever comeback if you state the obvious in return to their heckle.

That being said, a lot of people don't really cycle so to them we're the nutters. What if I wanna be a nutter that rides around in lycra? Ever thought of that? :laugh:
 

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I rode my Basso Viper up a local climb in July a few years back when Armstrong and Basso had been trying to out-climb each other in the Tour de France. A bunch of lads sitting outside a pub heckled me in a good-natured fashion. One of them spotted the Basso brand name on my bike and called out to me "Oi Ivan, watch out - Lance is catching you!" which I thought was a step up from the usual "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanker!" ;)
 
OP
OP
C

Christopher

Legendary Member
Very surprised that a lad knew who Basso was! It's a pretty good comment I think.

TBH I get very little abuse on the bike. Another time I made eye contact with a youth outside a rough-looking pub in Deepdale, Preston (not the good part of town) and all he said was "Awright, chief?" in a genuinely friendly manner.

My other fave was when I was passing a group of three schoolkids who all politely stood aside to let me past. Just as I was opening my mouth to say thank you, one went "Oh, you're welcome" in a bitingly sarcastic voice. Made me laugh and I apologised for being ungracious.
 

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Location
Warrington, UK
and finally in Warrington one time I was stopped at a red light. There was no cross-traffic at all and a pedestrian came up to me and said "Why are you stopped?" "Because it's a red light. Cyclists are supposed to stop at them". "But there's no traffic, lad. Go-ooon, now. Goo-ooon" and waved his arms at me. "No thanks, I'll just wait". He shook his head and walked off. .. well not abuse but never been urged to RLJ by a pedestrian...

Hah, nuff said, we are a strange little town.

t'other day in the pi**ing rain i'm heading over midland way and as i reach the top some nut fresh out the hosi with crutches shouts at me "NICE LIGHTS!" but in that derogatory tone as if he'd just said something really witty.
i just replied "thanks" and off i tootled.
 

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Location
Hertfordshire
I had a couple of lads on 50cc scooters coming towards me pretending to pedal, tooting the horns and got an "Alright mate" as they passed at the weekend.
 

Rob500

Guru
Location
Belfast
Returning home one day after one of my longest outings (40 miles), two young lads, 9 or 10 yrs, messing about on their bikes.

Lad: Hey! - Are you a professional cyclist?
Me: No mate. Just a very tired one.
Lad: Why've you got one of them bikes then?
Me: Are you a professional BMXer - why've you one of them bikes?
 
I try to return abuse or mockery with a cheery wave and am often rewarded with smile; hopefully someone else now convinced that we're not all two-wheeled yobs and some cyclist, in a future encounter, spared the same abuse: "You'll catch more flies with sugar, than shoot."
 

growingvegetables

Legendary Member
Location
Leeds
I'm toiling up a long hill through a wee village. Two 15 year olds start yelling and pointing "Hey mate, your back wheel".

I look quickly - seems OK.

They shout again, waving furiously.

I stop, get off and look more carefully ........... like a numpty :sad:













"Hey mate, it's following the front one!"
 

NotFabian

EACC
Location
Co. Antrim
and finally in Warrington one time I was stopped at a red light. There was no cross-traffic at all and a pedestrian came up to me and said "Why are you stopped?" "Because it's a red light. Cyclists are supposed to stop at them". "But there's no traffic, lad. Go-ooon, now. Goo-ooon" and
waved his arms at me. "No thanks, I'll just wait". He shook
his head and walked off. .. well not abuse but never been urged to RLJ by a pedestrian...


Maybe it was apollo179 out for a walk...:-)
 
Top Bottom