info needed about flitch way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack shepherd

hi everyone,
im planning on biking the flitch way from braintree railway station to bishops stortford with a friend. please could someone tell me any details about the route such as is it hilly or flat, long or short, etc. any help gratfully excepted

Stephen brown

Hi, I have ridden this from Braintree to Stansted on many occasions, its pretty flat, but does have some gentle inclines and a few motorway bridges that are quite steep but short

I think it's about 18 miles from end to end but be warned in the middle where u cross the road is a gypsy camp and we have had a few problems with wildish dogs, so we tend to do a loop around it and rejoin further up

The first half is Tarmac but the 2nd half is gravel path and gets quite rutted towards the end

I would think a hybrid would be fine although we have MTBs, I would not fancy it on a road bike

There's a nice cafe about 5 miles in too

OP
OP
jack shepherd

jack shepherd

Hi, I have ridden this from Braintree to Stansted on many occasions, its pretty flat, but does have some gentle inclines and a few motorway bridges that are quite steep but short

I think it's about 18 miles from end to end but be warned in the middle where u cross the road is a gypsy camp and we have had a few problems with wildish dogs, so we tend to do a loop around it and rejoin further up

The first half is Tarmac but the 2nd half is gravel path and gets quite rutted towards the end

I would think a hybrid would be fine although we have MTBs, I would not fancy it on a road bike

There's a nice cafe about 5 miles in too
ok,thanks for that, i would ride the trail sooner but my friend is on holiday for a week so i have to wait till he gets back, because i enjoy riding with someone as i find i boring to ride on my own (no one to talk when i stop for a break for something)

wakou

Über Member
Hi! I rode it last summer...... @ Dunmow there were some works going on, and had to use the road for a spell. I rode it on a Bianchi Road bike, but many would not as there are gravel/sketchy surfaces. As with ALL ex-railway paths, hills are not a problem (obv when you think!) There is a very nice LBS "Flitch Cycles", which is serendipitously situated above a greasy spoon caff :smile: http://www.flitchbikes.co.uk/ (In Dunmow).
If I was forced to moan... it IS a bit boring, it is often in a little cutting so not much to see, but still a nice pootle....
Where do you live BTW? I am in Chelmsford. If you are itching to ride it, and can't wait for your friend, shout me up here, and I will come out and meet with you!

OP
OP
jack shepherd

jack shepherd

Hi! I rode it last summer...... @ Dunmow there were some works going on, and had to use the road for a spell. I rode it on a Bianchi Road bike, but many would not as there are gravel/sketchy surfaces. As with ALL ex-railway paths, hills are not a problem (obv when you think!) There is a very nice LBS "Flitch Cycles", which is serendipitously situated above a greasy spoon caff :smile: http://www.flitchbikes.co.uk/ (In Dunmow).
If I was forced to moan... it IS a bit boring, it is often in a little cutting so not much to see, but still a nice pootle....
Where do you live BTW? I am in Chelmsford. If you are itching to ride it, and can't wait for your friend, shout me up here, and I will come out and meet with you!
Ditto, if u fancy a ride just PM me and if we are over that way you are welcome to join us
thanks for the offer, but just today, my bike got run over and the back wheel and gears are completely totalled, but i am having it repaired, but it wont be ready for about 2 weeks. but still thanks for the offer

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I've ridden Braintree to Stansted a few years back, and last year rode Dunmow to Newmarket via Flitch to Stansted.

A couple of points- it's easy to miss the right turn at Tilekiln Green (where you cross over the old A120). The signage was non existant last year and my GPS helped. Then the bit from there and over the M11 is rather convoluted and was a bit overgrown. Then it's roads from Duck Green to Stortford.

There's a gap in the route through Dunmow and you are spat out onto a busy road (old A120).

There's a lovely cyclists cafe that backs onto the route- somehwhere near Little Canfield I think- though can't recall exact location.

Overall, a pleasant ride- poor surface in patches as it's popular with horse riders and the horses churn the path badly. Should be fine though on hybrid or MB.

Don't know whether Essex based @compo can add anything as I know he rides this route from time to time.

OP
OP
jack shepherd

jack shepherd

I've ridden Braintree to Stansted a few years back, and last year rode Dunmow to Newmarket via Flitch to Stansted.

A couple of points- it's easy to miss the right turn at Tilekiln Green (where you cross over the old A120). The signage was non existant last year and my GPS helped. Then the bit from there and over the M11 is rather convoluted and was a bit overgrown. Then it's roads from Duck Green to Stortford.

There's a gap in the route through Dunmow and you are spat out onto a busy road (old A120).

There's a lovely cyclists cafe that backs onto the route- somehwhere near Little Canfield I think- though can't recall exact location.

Overall, a pleasant ride- poor surface in patches as it's popular with horse riders and the horses churn the path badly. Should be fine though on hybrid or MB.

Don't know whether Essex based @compo can add anything as I know he rides this route from time to time.
thanks i may just get a far as dunmow then turn back instead of carrying on the bishops stortford, also how safe would it be to follow the B1256 round dunmow to get to the flitch way

Glow worm

Legendary Member
thanks i may just get a far as dunmow then turn back instead of carrying on the bishops stortford, also how safe would it be to follow the B1256 round dunmow to get to the flitch way

It was formerly the very busy A120 so has the feel of a major A road still, but cos of the bypass is a bit less busy so you should be ok though be wary that Part of it is still awful between the two roundabouts as is very narrow. Worth following the less direct substrans route through Dunmow.

OP
OP
jack shepherd

jack shepherd

It was formerly the very busy A120 so has the feel of a major A road still, but cos of the bypass is a bit less busy so you should be ok though be wary that Part of it is still awful between the two roundabouts as is very narrow. Worth following the less direct substrans route through Dunmow.
ok thanks for that

OP
OP
jack shepherd

jack shepherd

Ditto, if u fancy a ride just PM me and if we are over that way you are welcome to join us
just to ask, is it still alright to cycle with you when my friend comes back from his holiday, he doesnt know the route much and i have no clue what its like, but ive seen it on maps.

Top Bottom