****ing bank charges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Willow said:
If you are overdrawn without arrangement they are at liberty to charge. You agree to that when you open the account. If you don't like it then don't go o/d or bank elsewhere. We all make mistakes and if that is what it is and it is not a frequent occurance they will rectify. Given on line banking these days there isn't too much of an excuse really. If you can be on here you can check your balances which is where I'm off to.

sorry willow but i have to disagree. the bank has charged nearly £200 for a fairly minor incursion over the limit, which then means we will be in the same position this month, for which they will doubtless do the same. can you see what is happening here? the bank will, without intervention, charge us into a considerable debt situation from a fairly minor and brief step over the mark (in no small part due to those other paragons of virtue, the gas company putting its prices up).

if you consider that the bank isn't behaving with the morals of a brain damaged tom cat then that is your opinion. i beg to differ.

as it is, i am at the stage where i will demand the charges be dropped or i will switch accounts and start proceedings to claim back six years worth. hell, i might get the charges dropped and still do that.

alecstilleyedye said:
start proceedings to claim back six years worth. hell, i might get the charges dropped and still do that.

:biggrin::rofl::ohmy: that boat has truly sailed.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Eat MY Dust said:
:ohmy::rofl::rolleyes: that boat has truly sailed.

well it's on hold (pending an appeal by the banks), but i'll happily add my claim to the waiting queue before the floodgates open :biggrin: apparently if i can manage to prove "hardship", the county court will handle the case anyway.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Eat MY Dust said:
There was a while where it looked like the outcome was going to favour the consumers, but I fear with the losses that the banks have made recently, that there's no way they're going to make the banks pay the money back.

well as it's on a point of law, the relative financial position of the bank is irrelevant. the charges are either legal, or they're not. i agree that the banks will fight tooth and nail, but frankly i don't give a monkeys.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
£200 charge....sheesh..... that's robbery with a capital 'R'. Think mine charges £30 if you go over...and that's robbery, but £200. :biggrin:

Get on the phone to your Branch if you can......... and have a go - for a one off, they will probably drop the charges.... CRIKEY !!!!

louise

Its basically the same as what they did to me I went a few over quid bang charged over £200. The reason was my car needed repairs, without my car I am knackered, not cos I am a lazy sod but because I have severe asthma

Next month charges as a result of the charges been taken out I was over again so I got charged another £100.

The sam would of happened again next month if I hadn't taken money out of my savings account.

Tome its robbery by the back door, still awaiting to see if i will get the charges back but it's looking unlikely

Maz

Guru
I think you've got a good case, alecetc. Also, banks can't be arsed to chase around for a couple of 100 quid which is bugger all to them. They've got bigger fish to fry. Stuff the bank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugo15

Über Member
I recently switched from HSBC to Alliance and Leicester. They do interest free overdrafts up to £2500. I used their switching service to sort out all the direct debits and it went very smoothly.

mikeitup

Veteran
have a look at the consumer action group forums.
their members have successfully claimed back a few million ££'s in unlawful bank charges.

simonali

Guru
We had an FD account once, but I closed it. They charged us an outrageous amount for going over our overdraft limit accidentally. Wifey wrote out a cheque, but forgot to transfer the money from the savings account into the current account and they hit us with a charge of nearly 250 quid for being over-overdrawn for 1 day. Cnuts! :laugh:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
1. Call them, and say that the charge is unjustified, and if they don't refund the money then you will go elsewhere
2. Accept apology and refund
3. When they screw up send them a bill for £100
4. This works.

wafflycat

gratts said:
Keep within the limits and they can't charge you owt. Simple :biggrin:

That doesn't stop HSBC sending snotty letters - as I will personally testify. I am running my account *properly* I am well within agreed limits - nowhere near my o/d limit - only very, very slightly o/d, with an agreed o/d limit. I never, but never go anywhere near the o/d limit let alone over it - yet HSBC send me snotty letters. B*st*rds. Mind you, they are just as bad as the rest of them. I have many a nasty tale about The Flying Rsole plc

Top Bottom