****ing dog…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
Jim_Noir said:
I don't buy it, the dog will have shown some behaviour like this in the past. Wither it's bark at the post man, growl at a stranger. They don't do it just out the blue. Why did the owner have a Rottie?

No, but you make sure it doesn't get to that stage. For them to have done this they have been allowed, or more so brought up to do it.

You don't buy it? I'm not making it up dude. :smile: I don't know the exact history of the dog but that doesn't change the fact that years later the guy still has a reminder of someone's 'pet' on his arm. My point is that I see no reason whatsoever in having a dog which is capable of killing a human being. Ok so there's a grey area somewhere between a poodle and a pitbull terrier and I don't know exactly where it is but there are definetly some dogs that are more dangerous than others so why bother keeping them and having that potential risk around the house? I just don't get it.

Jim_Noir

No, I don't buy the fact the owner didn't know the dog would/could do something like that. Hence why I ask why he had a rottie and not a Shitsu.

Lets say you and I are in a room, on the table is a gun. What is the most dangerous part of that gun?

A rottie in the correct frame of mind is no more a risk than any other dog. My Rottie is a P.A.T dog. He goes along to visit kids in the hospital, he rolls aound with them, they think he's a bear. He even has a set or rains so the kids can ride him about, he loves it and so do they. He is in the correct mindset. However give him to someone who only wants a protection dog, you have a diffrent story. I don't need a dog to protect me, therefore my dogs look to me for protection and guidance. I wouldn't say he wouldn't ever bite, if you attack my Mrs I am 100% sure you are getting taken out with 2 of my dogs, attack me I am sure they would just sit there looking confused! So it's not why have them, as they are wonderful dogs that have been around for thousands of years.. it's why have them for the reason to protect and look tough.

This for example: http://www.a1k9.co.uk/Personal-Protection-DogDobermann-508.asp
Take away the fact some sicko has cut the dogs ears and tail. You buy a dog like this that they have showen it what it can do, you then take it as a status symbol and a protection dog. You get it home, the dogs knows it's more powerful than you, after all you have given him the role to protect therefore you are not the pack leader... you have a serious issue on your hands... and there is only one reason someone would buy this... so when it attacks a kid/someone on a bike and the owner says "He is a pet, he'd never do anything like that" yeah right!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Jim talks a lot of sense but so does Brahan, to be fair.

It's very simple.

The dog was only domesticated by humans for their own needs.

I would not trust my dog or any other dog off the lead in certain circumstances.

Let me expand. My dog that passed away was as soft as anything. I could have put a baby on the floor in front of her and no hassle. BUT, that is not what dogs are about.

Different breeds have different needs. They are built physically and mentally to be prepared to do certain tasks. Unfortunately, there are some SOBs who use the dogs as weapons to extract and use that basic need.

The Doberman who attacked Alec was probably doing what he thought was 'his job' and could have been freaked out by the bike. Now, I'm not condoning that, I'm just saying that natural instincts are still in-bred. So who is at fault here? The owner, who sounds like a responsible person, or the dog just going back to basics? Take your pick.

I have just taken my new dog out - staffie/lab cross and she has no signs of aggression. A dog off the lead, who was with sensible owners, came running straight to us. It IS intimidating but they hadn't bargained for their 'trained' dog to come running for another dog and not be recalled. Luckily, they played nicely, but it could have gone wrong.

Lisa21 - don't tell me you have had a life of pure luxury with the Weima because I am 99% sure that is not true? You control the dog, or the dog controls you ... but that is not the end of it.

Just my experience.

[
snapper_37 said:

Personally I never got past this.

Brahan said:
I'd have them all put down. End of.

With such inspired logic, I really didn't think it was worth reading anymore or even engaging, where do you start. It's like having to teach someone to talk before you can have an argument with them: Pure muppetry.

Anyway, where's Alex, I hope he's not developed lockjaw?

Brahan

Über Member
Jim_Noir said:
Lets say you and I are in a room, on the table is a gun. What is the most dangerous part of that gun?

Eh? A gun can't think or miss read a situation. If it was a gun that could potentialy set off at any point then I wouldn't see the point in having it at all far less sharing a room with it. Are you telling me that dogs cannot think for themselves and that they will only ever do exactly what a human has trained them to?

Jim_Noir

They do think for themselves, they are influenced on how their owner brings them up. Left in the wild they would not be near a human so wouldn’t attack.

Dogs only attack due to:
Dominance. Pack animal so allowed to be dominant will bring out a dogs nature to attack. Having a dog that is perceived to be a dangerous breed and teaching it or praising it it to be aggressive will give the dog power and status. Even a game of tug with something like a bull dog or rottie will make the dog know that it’s wayyy stronger than you are and you los it’s respect.
Fear/Self defence: They are like us with this, they will run or fight. A dog not sure of people around it can lash out very quickly. Fear is the most common reason a dog attacks.
Territory and possessions: If the dog is dominant, you are its possession, if it doesn’t like someone being near their possession then they may attack
Sickness: Sure we all understand that

Have a look about a park at how people and dogs react to each other. You’ll see collies all full of excitement as their owners play pall, run even cycle with them... then watch the ned with a staffie. The ned is walking along aggressive as fook, the dog is on a tight hold, thus the redirected aggression.

It comes down to education. The people who buy a “dangerous breed” are mostly buying them for the image and have no clue about how to train a dog and will happily turn the dog aggressive as that is the image they want. Give them a Lab or what is thought as a “normal dog” and you get the same issue. I’m working with a Lab at the moment, 2 years old. Couple bought him as they wanted a family pet, after 2 years they couldn’t cope so they brought him in to the shelter. This dog has the worst dominance issue I have seen. The couple couldn’t get to work in the morning as the dog was attacking them, he was trying to bite people in the street that came near the couple, was attacking people that came into the house... what people don’t think about is that a lab is not a kick in the arse off the size of a rottie, and it’s still got jaws and fook off teeth! So goes back why have a dog that can do you harm, the all can do it hence why I think there should be control over who gets them.

The reason for the Gun question. The gun is only dangerous if one of us picks it up, on the table it’s nothing. It is what we make it.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Crackle said:
[

Personally I never got past this.

With such inspired logic, I really didn't think it was worth reading anymore or even engaging, where do you start. It's like having to teach someone to talk before you can have an argument with them: Pure muppetry.

+1
I do not "control" my dog and neither does she "control" me........since she was 8 weeks old she has been trained to be highly obedient and is in no doubt that she is not pack leader and is a very balanced and well ajusted dog. Maybe iv been lucky but as this is the fourth one weve owned with absolutely no problems I think its just down to plain hard work. Dont get me wrong-its not always been easy as there is always the stage where give them an inch and they will take a mile to test their boundaries but it is worth it to have such a brilliant dog.If anyone tried to hurt me she would protect me,she has proved this to me,but I can honestly say I trust her 100% and am so in tune with her I know what shes thinking!She is never on a lead unless walking in heavy traffic and will walk to heel, watching me untill I tell her she can run off. A simple "wait" means she wont move or "here" and she comes straight back. She is trained to a whistle for when she is out of sight and also trained to hand signals-very useful in case she goes deaf in old age like one of our others did.

A puppy is a blank canvas and there is no such thing as a "bad" dog imo-just irresponsible owners and lack of training.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Yes, by the sounds of it dog ownership needs to be better regulated as criminal and deviant individuals are spoiling it for everyone else.

However, one thing I don't like about this suggestion is that it may unfairly penalize "good" dog owners who have dogs that aren't a danger and that may be financially tight to afford such insurance (think about an OAP with a small Yorkie for example).

Perhaps one way around this is to simply go on the length of a dog? E.g. if it is over x cm from base of tail to snout, then proof of insurance/training is required, otherwise the dog is taken to the pound. That way at least that OAP or family can still have a (small) dog. I realize that small dogs can still do damage, but I'm thinking about the criminal element here with the kind of big dogs.

Jim_Noir said:
I 100% agree with this, dog ownership really needs to smarten up.

For me I'd like to see a licence be brought in, and not the old 47P out the post office one.
I'd like to see a test for people to say they are sane enough for a dog, also to get your yearly licence you need to produce medical insurance and 3rd party insurance.

The there are the breeders, surly they know some of the people who come in to buy a dog shouldn't be allowed one.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I'm with Jim on this one -I think both sides make good points. It seems the world is roughly made up of the following:

(i) People who are dog lovers and will say "it's the owner not the dog" regardless of anything and treat their dogs like humans and make all the excuses in the world for them.
(ii) People who really hate dogs
(iii) People who don't love or hate dogs, but realize they are animals, not people.

I'm firmly in the third category.

I think to trivialize Jim or Brahan is dangerous. Having grown up with a really nice dog, I do think much is to do with the owner. But I also realize a dog is an animal and, for example, no matter what I thought of the dog ("soft as a brush") I wouldn't, for example, leave a big dog alone in a room with a small child. It's an ANIMAL and higher reasoning is one difference between humans (well, sometimes!) and animals. I think that's the point Brahan is trying to make. I also subscribe to the point of view that an animal can turn "nasty" even without prior indications (though this raises the question of what is an "indication", when does it have to happen, the frequency of an "indication" and even if there is one, does it matter?). Either you believe this or you don't -I happen to based on my experiences, so I don't think Brahan is crazy with that assertion.

Where I disagree with Brahan is his statement of putting them all down. That's ridiculous. Just my opinion! Crikey, just done what my mother always told me not to do -never comment on pets, children, family or politics!

Back to bikes.....

snapper_37 said:

It's very simple.

The dog was only domesticated by humans for their own needs.

I would not trust my dog or any other dog off the lead in certain circumstances.

Let me expand. My dog that passed away was as soft as anything. I could have put a baby on the floor in front of her and no hassle. BUT, that is not what dogs are about.

Different breeds have different needs. They are built physically and mentally to be prepared to do certain tasks. Unfortunately, there are some SOBs who use the dogs as weapons to extract and use that basic need.

The Doberman who attacked Alec was probably doing what he thought was 'his job' and could have been freaked out by the bike. Now, I'm not condoning that, I'm just saying that natural instincts are still in-bred. So who is at fault here? The owner, who sounds like a responsible person, or the dog just going back to basics? Take your pick.

I have just taken my new dog out - staffie/lab cross and she has no signs of aggression. A dog off the lead, who was with sensible owners, came running straight to us. It IS intimidating but they hadn't bargained for their 'trained' dog to come running for another dog and not be recalled. Luckily, they played nicely, but it could have gone wrong.

Lisa21 - don't tell me you have had a life of pure luxury with the Weima because I am 99% sure that is not true? You control the dog, or the dog controls you ... but that is not the end of it.

Just my experience.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Crackle said:

nah, still here :rolleyes: had a jab to be on the safe side. they've given me a prescription for some antibiotics which might make me feel a bit queezy, so i'm passing on those, seeing as the wound was not deep and is healing fine.

Crankarm

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
nah, still here :rolleyes: had a jab to be on the safe side. they've given me a prescription for some antibiotics which might make me feel a bit queezy, so i'm passing on those, seeing as the wound was not deep and is healing fine.

No need for rabies jabs then...........:biggrin:.

Top Bottom