Injured by a VOI scooter - legal position?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
im not a legal eagle but you claim against VOI and they claim against the rider is the way i would imagine it works .

The driver should have insurance through VOI, isn’t that how these hire schemes work? All assuming it was the hirer who was riding and at fault?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The driver should have insurance through VOI, isn’t that how these hire schemes work? All assuming it was the hirer who was riding and at fault?

indeed , if you go after VOI as the insurer much like you would any other vehicle . assuming the police report is accurate then voi should know who had the scooter

Emanresu

im not a legal eagle but you claim against VOI

Difficult to do if not impossible. You are describing vicarious liability which can be used for an employee but not for a customer. It's a secondary form of liability. Primary is against the rider - if he/she can be identified.

Someone has mentioned checking household insurance which is probably the first place to start.

Difficult to do if not impossible. You are describing vicarious liability which can be used for an employee but not for a customer. It's a secondary form of liability. Primary is against the rider - if he/she can be identified.

Someone has mentioned checking household insurance which is probably the first place to start.
That sounds like something that should be improved!
I mean - it has tobe the same for car hire and the like - but identifying the rider might be almost impossible
and what if they say they lent it to someone else??
who is responsible then??
OK they have gone against the term from VOI - but where to you stand??

classic33

Leg End Member

VOI are not only the owner of the e-scooters, they are also the insurers of those they use in these trials.

The owner has the legal obligation to name the person using the vehicle at the time. Failure to do so means the action will be taken against owner, who is now liable. Given that all their e-scooters require a debit or credit card to use them, they will have the users details.

Emanresu

The owner has the legal obligation to name the person using the vehicle at the time.

You may be right but could you point out which part of the relevant Road Traffic Act applies. Are you thinking s28?

I would be surprised if s28 applies but perhaps the OP might want to see if the police will issue one.

Top Bottom