Inner Tube advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djhughes46

Hello All and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I'm pretty new to cycling (haven't had a bike since I was a kid) and recently bought a Carrerra Subway 1 Hybrid to cycle to and from work.
At the weekend I got a puncture so took the inner tube out and did the whole submerging it in water and looking for bubbles but couldn't find a puncture.
So rather than mess about any further decided to buy a new inner tube and fit that.
I bought the bike from Halfords and according to the spec on their website the tires are 27.5 x 1.95 and it has a Schrader Valve.
Halfords don't actually sell an inner tube that matches this spec but when I spoke to one of their customer advisors they told me that their Schrader Innertube 27.5" x 2.1"-2.5" would be fine even though it is a little wider.
I wasn't totally convinced by the advisor so just wondered what you kind folks think?
I have found one that matches my spec
http://www.innertubeshop.com/products/self-sealing-dr-sludge-27-5-650b-inner-tube-presta-valve
so don't knwo whether to spend the extra couple of pounds on the one above and wait a few days for it to be delivered or just get the Halford's one? Is it likely to cause any issues with it being slightly wider?

Thanks

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It'll be fine

Katherine

Guru
Hello All and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I'm pretty new to cycling (haven't had a bike since I was a kid) and recently bought a Carrerra Subway 1 Hybrid to cycle to and from work.
At the weekend I got a puncture so took the inner tube out and did the whole submerging it in water and looking for bubbles but couldn't find a puncture.
So rather than mess about any further decided to buy a new inner tube and fit that.
I bought the bike from Halfords and according to the spec on their website the tires are 27.5 x 1.95 and it has a Schrader Valve.
Halfords don't actually sell an inner tube that matches this spec but when I spoke to one of their customer advisors they told me that their Schrader Innertube 27.5" x 2.1"-2.5" would be fine even though it is a little wider.
I wasn't totally convinced by the advisor so just wondered what you kind folks think?
I have found one that matches my spec
http://www.innertubeshop.com/products/self-sealing-dr-sludge-27-5-650b-inner-tube-presta-valve
so don't knwo whether to spend the extra couple of pounds on the one above and wait a few days for it to be delivered or just get the Halford's one? Is it likely to cause any issues with it being slightly wider?

Thanks

Hi, I couldn't find a puncture once and my husband told me to pump some air in while it's in the water as there may not have been enough pressure to make bubbles. It worked.

13 rider

Guru
You state original tube has a Schrader valve but the other tube has a presta valve .pump will need to have heads for each as they are not interchangable I think the one quote by halfords should be ok

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
.... as does bending / stretching the tube in your hands - expands the hole so bubbles become more obvious (needs a reasonable amount of air in as already said).

.... and do VERY VERY THOROUGHLY check inside the tyre before re-fitting the tube else you'll be doing it again pronto. I had the merest lump inside a tyre, after removing the bit of glass, and checking more than once, but was enough to give weekly punctures before I eventually binned the tyre as well.

jay clock

Massive member
mmm I just looked up the spec and it does indeed say that bike has 27.5 inch wheels. But I think that is wrong and that they are 26" wheels (mtb size). However I could be mistaken

Have a look at the codes on the side of the tyre and post them here. It will start with something like 559 or 622 or 630.......

OP
OP
djhughes46

djhughes46

WOW thanks for all the quick replies

Will get the Halfords ones then and check the current inner tube with more air in to see if that helps (and thoroughly check the tyre).
I'm not at home at the moment but will also check the code on the tyres when I get a chance to make sure they are the size quoted in the spec.

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
mmm I just looked up the spec and it does indeed say that bike has 27.5 inch wheels. But I think that is wrong and that they are 26" wheels (mtb size). However I could be mistaken

Have a look at the codes on the side of the tyre and post them here. It will start with something like 559 or 622 or 630.......
27.5" decimal wheels are basically 26x1½" fractional wheels (American bike wheels are smaller for the same size!) also known as 584mm (ISO) or 650b (French).

A tenth of an inch difference in tube width will probably be fine but you don't have much cause for complaint if it's not UNLESS the sales advisor said otherwise, which they did this time!

I don't like slime-filled tubes (messy if they blow out) but I do carry a sealant canister for when I don't have time to fix a puncture properly. If you put a Presta-valve tube into some Schrader-valve rims, it will fail at the valve because Presta is narrower. Stick to the one that the rim was drilled for, unless it really annoys you.

KateK

You don't say what your tyres are...if you keep getting punctures, particularly in the winter, it's good to have some puncture resistant tyres...other people will be able to recommend what would suit your wheels.
I don't know why tyre sizes are so mind bogglingly difficult. My old bike is 27 x 1 1/4 inches and just go into the shop and say what my tyre is and what the valve is and they do the rest. The tyres often have different sizes and look wider or narrower but all seem to work. very mysterious.; Now I've got a new bike and it's in mm as opposed to inches and I know sooner or later I'm going to find I'm trying to fit the tube for one to the wheel of the other. and I probably won't realise for an embarrassingly long time why it won't fit.

HOU5EY

They should be fine. Stick to schrader as they are slightly wider. It's also much easier to find a pump that fit schrader if you need to top the air up (not meaning to start a presta schrader debate)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
And remember to date the labels, so when you take them out the freezer you use them in the right order....

.... sorry, don't know what got into me there; couldn't resist
You are quite right, doesn't rubber deteriorate in time?
We must remember stock rotation. :laugh:

Top Bottom