Inner-tube outrage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, not outrage, but a heads-up anyways.

Recently bought a couple of 20" inner-tubes from Decathlon. One had a defect, small split along the inner seam.
Took it back and got a replacement, both then fitted to bike.

Shortly after a few rides, a puncture. Same issue, split in the inner seam. Replaced with a different tube from a donor bike.

Couple of days ago, the last 'new' tube does the exact same thing. In the space of 3 months had 3 tubes with the same fault.

The rubber on the inner part of these tubes (closest the rim) does seem rather thin, so am guessing it all comes down to quality control in the end.

Have bought many bike related parts from Decathlon over the years, both here and in Thailand, and very satisfied, but will steer clear of their tubes from now on. Anyone else had this experience?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
That's a shame - since they presumably all come from China I've always assumed that tubes are all broadly similar.

I run Decathlon gravel tyres and tubes on the Routier (whole lot cost maybe £20-25 in 2020) and barring one puncture they've been absolutely fine over 1k+ miles.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Just unlucky perhaps with a bad batch. Though when I saw the thread title I thought it might be a DM article about those dratted cyclists and some demonisation of their use of inner tubes.

As mentioned, could just be unlucky due to a bad batch. With one of my recent R20 projects, the inner tubes are Raleigh branded, and wouldn't be surprised if they're original to the bike of some 40 years plus. The rubber is much different to the modern tubes, and are without patches, so will continue to use these old timers :okay:

OK, not outrage, but a heads-up anyways.

Recently bought a couple of 20" inner-tubes from Decathlon. One had a defect, small split along the inner seam.
Took it back and got a replacement, both then fitted to bike.

Shortly after a few rides, a puncture. Same issue, split in the inner seam. Replaced with a different tube from a donor bike.

Couple of days ago, the last 'new' tube does the exact same thing. In the space of 3 months had 3 tubes with the same fault.

The rubber on the inner part of these tubes (closest the rim) does seem rather thin, so am guessing it all comes down to quality control in the end.

Have bought many bike related parts from Decathlon over the years, both here and in Thailand, and very satisfied, but will steer clear of their tubes from now on. Anyone else had this experience?

Probably a bad batch. I've had a whole workshop box of fifty do the same, and they were from a reputable German company.

I had it happen five times before I gave up on the batch. My client insisted on trying them out before we threw them away, so for the afternoon I kept hearing the sound of a bike pump followed by a "pop" about every three minutes.

Top Bottom