Inner Tube Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there. Me again!

I run 700 x 25 tyres on both my road bikes. If I was to buy an inner tube that is 18-25, does this mean that the tube is thinner than say a 23-32 as the tube is stretched out more? I know this might be a silly question!

Tim Hall

Not silly at all. It'll be a teeny bit thinner but it'll work just fine though. An 18-25 will be lighter than a 23 -32 and, in my experience, will be easier to fit into a 25mm tyre.

alicat

Legendary Member
I've thought about this as well, does the 'thicker' 23 -32 have better puncture protection? If so I'm in!

No, once an object has gone through to the inside of the tyre it's pretty much irrelevant how thick the inner tube is. Think pin and balloon.

I personally avoid Continental inner tubes. I found they split close to the base of the tube. I would also avoid cheap job lots but apart from that anything goes. I will also fit any size that is rated for my wheel.

davidphilips

Veteran
For me its 10 tubes for £20 , cheap and cheerful, unless every second counts then the cheap tubes are fine and hold pressure better than laytex tubes.

Interesting read about tubes here, butyl rubber or natural latex rubber, http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide...-how-save-weight-ride-faster-or-prevent-flats

Red17

Veteran
Not sure its that important. I've switched to 28cc tyres a couple of months ago but still running with my 18-25 tubes. I suppose in theory that they are stretched more, but not had any punctures so far (I just know I'm going to regret posting that tommorow).

Edited to add I just stick with the wiggle own brand cheap tubes

davidphilips

Veteran
Not sure its that important. I've switched to 28cc tyres a couple of months ago but still running with my 18-25 tubes. I suppose in theory that they are stretched more, but not had any punctures so far (I just know I'm going to regret posting that tommorow).

Edited to add I just stick with the wiggle own brand cheap tubes

you should be fine, better a slightly smaller tube than a slightly larger tube, a smaller tube will just blow up a bit and be fine a larger one may fold over and after a lot of miles get a puncture from rubbing on its self.

Top Bottom