Inner Tube Sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andros

Hi, just a quick question please. I need to replace an inner tube in a tyre that is 700 * 35c that has a puncture. The only replacement tube I can get from the nearest Halfords is 700 * 28 to 32c, so will I be okay going using this even though it would be going up a few mm on the size of the inner tube? Thanks Andy

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It will be fine, but it is better to get the 'right' size. Having said that, I have ordered 32-38mm tubes for my 35mm tyres before now and when they arrive they are narrower than the 28-32mm tube I am trying to replace.

Can you not just buy a puncture repair kit and fix the tube you already have because that is the right size? It is what I would do. Replacing punctured tubes everytime is an expensive and environmental waste IMO.

Ajax Bay

Guru
need to replace an inner tube in a tyre that is 700 * 35c that has a puncture. The only replacement tube I can get from the nearest Halfords is 700 * 28 to 32c, so will I be okay
You'll be absolutely fine. In fact you may find it easier to fit (easier to get the final bit of the tyre bead in without the tube getting in the way) with the (nominally) slightly lower calibre inner tube. I echo @I like Skol 's suggestion that you should aim to repair the punctured tube you have (as well), as well as his rationale. I take it you know what caused the puncture and have removed the source.

I always have problems tracking down the 28-32mm size. Hybrid inner tubes are a bit wider and commonplace. Either will work.
Make sure you have the right stem length for your style of rim and get the same valve type. Extra long stems should only be used with deep section rims, they provide too much leverage for the pump on normal rims.
Most regular riders carry a spare inner tube for replacement and patch the puncture back home.

OP
OP
A

Andros

Hi, thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I used a Zefal spray thinking it would get me home but it didn't seal, hence with the gunk why I was thinking it is new inner tube time.

Reactions: mjr

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Hopefully that's a lesson learned.
"Don't use spray sealant!"
They ruin the tube, even if they do seal it it's not permanent!
Carry a spare tube instead.
It takes up less space, weighs less and you can repair the punctured one at home.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hopefully that's a lesson learned.
"Don't use spray sealant!"
They ruin the tube, even if they do seal it it's not permanent!
Carry a spare tube instead.
It takes up less space, weighs less and you can repair the punctured one at home.
Wrong conclusion IMO. If it works, spray sealant gets you going in under a minute, which can be very useful sometimes. Other times, it's not worth the risk.

If it works.

Top Bottom